Slow wifi on new Optimus

Chris99

Hi, I have just had my new Optimus 15" laptop delivered, but I'm getting very slow speeds on the wifi; about 2Mbps. My previous 8 year old laptop and my phone are getting 20 to 30Mbps.

The laptop has an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and Windows shows it is connected at 5GHz on 802.11 ac.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to speed this up?

Chris99

Hi @SpyderTracks thanks for replying. Full specs below. I used a couple of online checks (Ookla and Google) after I noticed how poor browsing was, and downloading a driver for my printer stopped part way through.

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 150W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Optimus X Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hmmm.... ok, have you got access to the router?

I'd suggest plugging in with LAN cable to the router. Do a speed test with the wifi turned off, just to verify it's the correct speeds through the LAN.

Then go into device manager, find your wifi adapter in "Network Adapters" and right click and "uninstall device"

Then reboot and log back in. Windows update will automatically install the relevant driver for the wifi.

Then disconnect the cable, move a sensible distance away from the router, and connect again to wifi and retry.

Chris99

Hi @SpyderTracks

I'll need to borrow a LAN cable from work tomorrow, and then have a play tomorrow evening. My old Windows 7 laptop is still reporting about 22Mbps on Ookla over the wifi.

I'll provide an update later. Thanks for your help.

Chris

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Assuming the speeds are ok when cable attached (showing that it's a wireless problem) I would open up the laptop and find the wireless card (it's probably under the keyboard) and check that the two antenna cables are properly attached to it. We've had at least one other case on here I seem to remember, where these had not been attached at all during building.....

Chris99

With a LAN cable connected I got 25 to 30Mbps last night. I took @SpyderTracks advice and uninstalled the wifi card and rebooted. Subsequent tests on the wifi showed about 1Mbps. I have raised a ticket with PCS.

Chris99

Okay, things have moved on a bit, but the waters are still a bit muddy to me.

I took the laptop to work and it connected and registered 90Mbps on Ookla. At home I was still only getting 0.2 to 2.5Mbps.

I have also opened a ticket with Plusnet, my broadband provider, and had a long phone call with them last night. They split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, giving each a separate SSID. The laptop connected to the 5GHz and registered the same poor speeds, even on the BT Wholesale speed test site they suggested. However the laptop completely refuses to connect to the 2.4GHz channel at all. This despite there being 8 other devices that connect to it and get good speeds.

At the moment both sides are doing what they can to help, but I really don't want to end in a position where each suggests it is the other's problem.

Chris

Chris99

@SpyderTracks and @ubuysa - The muddy waters are becoming clearer. PCS confirmed that opening the case would not invalidate the warranty or return policy, and sent the service manual for the laptop. I opened it up and guess what? One of the antenna is disconnected from the wifi board, and I am unable to get it to re-attach. This must be the 2.4GHz one.

20200220_140625_crop.jpg

I have updated PCS and am awaiting their response.

Chris

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
They are a very tight fit and it's darned fiddly too. You have to press quite firmly. Getting advice from PCS is good but you want to connect it yourself rather than have to send it back.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
@SpyderTracks and @ubuysa - The muddy waters are becoming clearer. PCS confirmed that opening the case would not invalidate the warranty or return policy, and sent the service manual for the laptop. I opened it up and guess what? One of the antenna is disconnected from the wifi board, and I am unable to get it to re-attach. This must be the 2.4GHz one.

View attachment 15223

I have updated PCS and am awaiting their response.

Chris
Hello Chris99,

First of all, I am sorry to see that the wifi antenna is disconnected on arrival. I know you have already raised this with our call centre but could I trouble you to send me the order number via PM so I can look into this personally?

D

Deleted member 94250

Hello Chris99,

First of all, I am sorry to see that the wifi antenna is disconnected on arrival. I know you have already raised this with our call centre but could I trouble you to send me the order number via PM so I can look into this personally?
whoo I never knew there was an admin roaming the savanna of these forums

Chris99

Hello Chris99,

Hi @moosEh

I have started a forum conversation with you. I take it that was what you meant by a dm?

Chris

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Umm.....that's a T-Rex not a cheetah...and they're extinct. Cheetahs look more like this 🐆 and they're not (extinct). Just keeping you honest here! :cool:
I gave up trying to find a Cheetah and saw the T-Rex so.. why not.