SM961 NVMe SSD not detected in Defiance III

rav007

Enthusiast
I finally got round to installing my SM961 but it isn't being detected. I can't see it in disk management or in the BIOS. The slot does work fine when I put an M.2 in there so I know the slot it working. I am running windows 10 pro, I saw some posts about UEFI being enabled and in my BIOS, it is enabled. I am just not sure what to do to. I think the drive is working because it is new. Any ideas? I will be migrating my OS to it but I need it to be detected first.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There are 2 M.2 slots in the Defiance III, only one of which supports NVMe drives. I take it you've got it in the right one?

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
Have you tried installing Windows to it (from a USB stick) - NVMe drives do not usually show up in BIOS, but windows installation should "see" the drive.

rav007

Enthusiast
Have you tried installing Windows to it (from a USB stick) - NVMe drives do not usually show up in BIOS, but windows installation should "see" the drive.

I did try that about an hour ago, but when I went through the windows installation options, the drive wasn't detected there either so I couldn't select to install it on there. This is quite frustrating now, I can't tell if the SSD is faulty or if it's incompatible. But the latter doesnt make sense because the same NVMe SSD was an option in the PCS configurator when I purchased the laptop.

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
Mmmm - have you any other means of testing the sm961 drive - it does look like there is a possibility of a dead drive.

I had no trouble at all fitting a Samsung 950 pro into the Defiance II I bought the wife last year.

rav007

Enthusiast
Mmmm - have you any other means of testing the sm961 drive - it does look like there is a possibility of a dead drive.

I had no trouble at all fitting a Samsung 950 pro into the Defiance II I bought the wife last year.

I think this is the conclusion I have come to as well. The port works with other M.2 drives, but this one isnt detected in BIOS or in windows, or if I tried to install new windows. PCS tech support also said it sounds like a faulty drive. Already opened a return to SCAN but think I will drive there on tuesday and ask for a replacement there and then to be honest. I can't be bothered with the hassles of postage. Thanks for your input Lez, much appreciated

rav007

Enthusiast
I'm bumping this thread because I got a replacement today from SCAN and it still isnt detecting. Does anyone with a defiance III have a similar issue? It is incredibly frustrating now because I don't think anyone else has this problem, I can't find anyone else with a similar issue. I really want this drive to work. BIOS version is 1.05.07TPCS

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
Oh dear, that's not good news...

...should've asked earlier, is your bios up to date?

I take it you mean by not detecting, that means in disk management still. Again, have you any means of testing the drive in a mates PC (though I now doubt that would solve much)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Have a friend who had a similar issue with a non-PCS machine so I asked him what he did.

Apparently he used the driver available from HP (it's not HP-specific as his is an Asus, I believe) and chose the driver during Windows installation.

Said though he was using 10, the 7 driver worked.

Of course your mileage may vary and if it doesn't work I'd be asking PCS if there's anything to do with the BIOS - up to date, hidden setting etc.

Anyway here's the driver he used http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=wk_177818_1#tab1

rav007

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your responses, it is very much appreciated. I figured out the problem is because the laptop's M.2 ports can only have the following configs:

2x M.2 SATA SSD
1x M.2 SATA SSD
1x M.2 NVMe

And I was trying get the NVMe working with the existing M.2 SATA plugged in because my OS was on that. Unplugging that one did the trick, now I just need a clever way of cloning my OS from the M.2 to the NVMe because I can't do it when both drives are installed in the machine at the same time. I think I will clone the OS from the M.2 SATA onto the 2.5in SATA SSD, and then remove the M.2 SATA and clone from the 2.5in SATA to the NVMe, its the only way without having to reinstall windows from scratch, followed by the reinstallation of my entire life.

rav007

Enthusiast
Would you be able to work it running your m2 from a USB connection, SpyderTracks put me on to this useful device (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T8F298Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I find it handy as i can also use an m2 for a portable back up drive but note only a standard m2 will fir, the SM961 would not fit in it.

This looks like a really handy thing to have in general! Fortunately, I have sufficient space for the OS on one of my drives so I have created a partition and using EaseUS's free cloning tool to do the clone right now. I have used the tool before so I am confident it will work, the sooner I get this fixed the better :tt2: Hopefully all will be fine and I will see you on the other side :D