Smart Failure Predicted

Matsaavedra

Hi all,

I got the Smart Failure predicted on sata6g_2 message when booting my PC, which I got it on Friday.

I checked some articles online with some suggestions of what to do (run 3rd party software, defrag disk, disable the detection and others). But in any of these cases it was a brand new hard drive, so before trying anything I'd like to know what could be the best course of action...trying something myself, get in touch with PCS support, etc.

I searched for keywords in the forum, but I didn't find much...so apologies if there's something already.

Attachments

• failure.jpg
    failure.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 151

Matsaavedra

The spec and the result of CrystalDisk on the Sata drive

CaseCORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)Change to: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

Attachments

• crystal.jpg
    crystal.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 146

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The spec and the result of CrystalDisk on the Sata drive

CaseCORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)Change to: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
That's a Crystal Disk Mark screenshot you have there - you want Crystal Disk Info. It will give you a screen for your drive like this which you can post for @ubuysa

1618253183203.png

Matsaavedra

The first two times I turned on the PC this evening I got the error. In the third and last it went through fine...so I wonder if that's why shows GOOD now

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just try opening up cmd prompt as admin, turn off secure folder access also, and then run chkdsk /r on the drive.

It does sound like a dead drive but that will tell you conclusively off it shows any bad sectors on it.
I have read chkdsk can kill drives that have serious issues on occassion @SpyderTracks - not sure if that's true mind you.....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have read chkdsk can kill drives that have serious issues on occassion @SpyderTracks - not sure if that's true mind you.....
It’s certainly possible as any r/w would be, but if the drive is that bad, anything will kill it.

For it to be that bad though, all sectors would be near failure. It’s possible the platter itself is bad.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Should the OP await a determination though before attempting a repair do you think? chkdsk will try to fix issues it finds?

Matsaavedra

I wouldn't mind running it as the disk is completely empty at the moment. But, if that does happen, would void my warranty ?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I wouldn't mind running it as the disk is completely empty at the moment. But, if that does happen, would void my warranty ?
Sorry - crossed with you....

If the disk dies because it has issues - I would expect you'll be fine - but still - I would personally wait and see what the guys say first.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No, either way weather the disk is close to failure or miles from it, if there is 1 bad sector or 50, it would still need replacing.

The way a HDD works, once a bad sector appears, the drive WILL fail at some point once all the sectors have fallen like dominoes.

There's nothing you could have done that would cause this kind of issue, your warranty will fully cover you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've kept having a thought and though it's not worth mentioning, but to be on the safe side, just try plugging it into a different SATA connector, just in case there's something amiss with that one, or if there isn't one handy, disconnect both the SATA and Power cable from the drive and reinsert them, make sure they're fully home.

Matsaavedra

Ops...I didn't see this one on time

I've kept having a thought and though it's not worth mentioning, but to be on the safe side, just try plugging it into a different SATA connector, just in case there's something amiss with that one, or if there isn't one handy, disconnect both the SATA and Power cable from the drive and reinsert them, make sure they're fully home.