So an 3950X or i9 10900K for CAD 2D & 3D work?

ChrAyl

As a preliminary suggestion, with notes by components:
Hello Spyder,

Thank you so much for putting that all together for me, very kind of you.

I did say about preferring air cooling for the CPU, but you are right and I have to say the AIO that I have in one of my current machines (also Corsair) has been happily working for several years now without issue.

I had looked at that board at some point and certainly thought it was a good fit.

I was tempted to use a spare Win10 Pro licence I have laying around, but it's probably sensible to buy it from PCS, as I think a restricted level of support was mentioned.

That all looks super though and you kept within budget as well, genuinely appreciate that, you're very kind.

Also your note about transferring licences (MS) was something I wasn't aware of, excellent bit of info! (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello Spyder,

Thank you so much for putting that all together for me, very kind of you.

I did say about preferring air cooling for the CPU, but you are right and I have to say the AIO that I have in one of my current machines (also Corsair) has been happily working for several years now without issue.

I had looked at that board at some point and certainly thought it was a good fit.

I was tempted to use a spare Win10 Pro licence I have laying around, but it's probably sensible to buy it from PCS, as I think a restricted level of support was mentioned.

That all looks super though and you kept within budget as well, genuinely appreciate that, you're very kind.

Also your note about transferring licences (MS) was something I wasn't aware of, excellent bit of info! (y)
This is some more info on tying your windows 10 license to Microsoft account so you can transfer to other builds, works for home and pro, but obviously not volume licenses

ChrAyl

ChrAyl

Further addition, if you really are set on air cooling, get the Noctua, nothing else is relevant with this chip.
Sorry, missed this response, many thanks again. It would be nice to have air, I've had Noctua before and find them brilliant.

ChrAyl

Hi all,

Just wish to let you know, I'm still on track for the 3950X option...even had a sign today when surveying :)

2020-07-31 12.41.00-50pc.jpg

ChrAyl

Hello all, very brief little update. The pandemic did cause troubles with availability as you all know, but also it effected work as well - ironically not directly. the TL:DR is that the office I was renting, was sold to another company, so I've been building a new office for myself during the last few months, hopefully it'll be done in a few more months. I've had to do normal work at the same time, which has completely drained me to be honest!

Anyway, once things have stabilised and I've moved in, and settled in, I'm going to get cracking with this - I have bought an RTX 4000 to tide me over, mainly with my use of VR (work related). It works very well and is a definite improvement over my little P2000. Of course though, instead of the 3950 I'll be getting a 5950X.

Thanks again to all those that assisted, very much appreciated. Before I go ahead with the purchase from pcs, I'll definitely be posting again for some final advice.

Hope everyone is well! (y)