So close and yet so very very far ......

Rakk

The Awesome
This is tale of Rakk bouncing around going 'ooooooo, ooooo, ooooooo, where's the wallet' followed by sheer disappointment I'm afraid

So, I'm wanting to upgrade to a 3070, my poor old 1070 (5 years old now) wants a rest.
Anyways this morning I decided I'd look at the upgrade page, not expecting to see anything, and lo and behold, it was there, a 3070, it was available ......
It was the ASUS TUF one so probably a little pricier but I thought what the hell, anyways, went to press proceed, and 'what do you men my PSU isn't good enough', I've checked roughly what a 3070 is recommended to have, it should be fine .......
So much checking later, it looks like the ASUS one is a power hog and does in fact recommend more than mine (many of the others would be fine), nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Boo Hiss, Rakk is now scowling :(

As a side note, no I'm not upgrading the PSU, its a few years old anyways, my next whole new machine should be in the next year or so so I'm not replacing it now, and anyway in my case its a nightmare to do anything with the PSU anyway - I remember just trying to add new power cables in for just the hard drives .... grazes and all

Rakk

The Awesome
So a question for those of that may know.
If I select the 3070Ti is the configurator it does not object (if I reduce the PSU it says I need at least 650W - which is exactly what I have - I have the RMx 650W) - a certain power calculator on another site reckons I need about 525W for my system if I include a Palit 3070Ti give or take

So yeah the big question: will it actually work?
I know a bigger PSU would be preferred but I want to know if it'll actually work as is, PCS's configurator reckons so

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So a question for those of that may know.
If I select the 3070Ti is the configurator it does not object (if I reduce the PSU it says I need at least 650W - which is exactly what I have - I have the RMx 650W) - a certain power calculator on another site reckons I need about 525W for my system if I include a Palit 3070Ti give or take

So yeah the big question: will it actually work?
I know a bigger PSU would be preferred but I want to know if it'll actually work as is, PCS's configurator reckons so
According to Nvidia you should be able to scrape by with a 3070 and a 650W PSU. An Rmx model would definitely up the chances of this working, now the spanner in the works is the Ti. I'm not 100% on that one with consumption, I believe the recommended PSU for both is 750W though

I'd say you're playing with fire, now if you managed to get a hold of a 3060Ti the 650W should be enough but we know how rare they are

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
In theory… it’ll work. Would’ve thought it’d be operating towards the top end of the PSUs capabilities, though. Although I suppose that Everquest isn’t going to be yanking giant amounts of power.

It’s a tricky call… I kind of want you to try it just to see what happens 😬

2C65A09C-958B-4862-82AD-F4FDB17D3312.gif

Rakk

The Awesome
Yes, its is a tricky call, I know I wont have a lot of room to spare, but the configurator reckons it'll be fine, and yeah I don't do AAA level games.

But yeah its also a case of if it runs short will it just throttle it or will it crash or shut down (throttling I'd be perfectly fine with until I get a newer machine)
And of course getting the 3070 is proving tricky and the 3060Ti is nigh on impossible - cant just join a queue for an upgrade option :(