So I Finally Got My Laptop

oiyou

The quality is, of course, excellent because of the components I chose.

It's the first time I ever bought anything this pricey that doesn't come with an invoice in the packaging. Apart from the booklet the only piece of paper was something in Japanese/Chinese/Some Oriental pictograms or other which I can't make head nor tail of because I don't recognise the language. Well, yes, there's a booklet. What a waste of a good tree. The useful stuff is on the CD. There are 3 pages in the book about laptops. No mention of the ss USB (USB 3) socket though it is on the CD. You need to forget the booklet, just use a small leaflet and save yourselves some money.

The thing which really bothers me is that when I booted the thing up it ignored the USB key I had inserted and tried to get me to set up Wndows 7. It appears this was installed despite the fact I asked for a laptop with no OS. If I had accidentally clicked the wrong button I could have been liable for the license fee for Windows. If that's what you want I have no problem with that but I don't and was somewhat horrified to find that the default setup not only ignored my USB key but tried to get me to set up software I don't want to use under any circumstances. Anyway, needless to say, I rebooted, changed the BIOS and installed KXStudio Linux from a key. It seems fine so far (decent components after all). You really should not send out hardware with unasked for software installed, especially commercial software with licences that need to be paid for. I don't mind paying for software but only those things I want to install.

Andy

Flucky

The quality is, of course, excellent because of the components I chose.

It's the first time I ever bought anything this pricey that doesn't come with an invoice in the packaging. Apart from the booklet the only piece of paper was something in Japanese/Chinese/Some Oriental pictograms or other which I can't make head nor tail of because I don't recognise the language. Well, yes, there's a booklet. What a waste of a good tree. The useful stuff is on the CD. There are 3 pages in the book about laptops. No mention of the ss USB (USB 3) socket though it is on the CD. You need to forget the booklet, just use a small leaflet and save yourselves some money.

The thing which really bothers me is that when I booted the thing up it ignored the USB key I had inserted and tried to get me to set up Wndows 7. It appears this was installed despite the fact I asked for a laptop with no OS. If I had accidentally clicked the wrong button I could have been liable for the license fee for Windows. If that's what you want I have no problem with that but I don't and was somewhat horrified to find that the default setup not only ignored my USB key but tried to get me to set up software I don't want to use under any circumstances. Anyway, needless to say, I rebooted, changed the BIOS and installed KXStudio Linux from a key. It seems fine so far (decent components after all). You really should not send out hardware with unasked for software installed, especially commercial software with licences that need to be paid for. I don't mind paying for software but only those things I want to install.

Andy

Bolded for lulz.

Glad you received your laptop.

JSG10

Expert
I guess some people are never happy unless they're moaning. Have fun with your new laptop if you can.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I was about to do the same Fluck :D

And really? Really?! It clearly states all over the order process and on here that they install 7 to test it...pray tell how would they do so with No OS?

As to the invoice, I logged into my account and "LO!" There was an invoice, I could, you know...Print...

Ah well, enjoy your upgraded laptop that you made awesome, and any actual problems, do come back and ask, we really are a helpful bunch :)