So I want a new phone :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah my last laptop was a MacBook only 2 years old brand new and yeah most of the time it did just work but when all your doing is the web and office that's not a massive statement to make. Mine had some problem with the graphics it wouldn't run iTunes visualizer etc and was in the store about 3 times to get looked at and they said "I was asking too much of it". There words not mine but I didn't think that was a lot. Ended up selling it to my dad.

After all he did for you :p

Give me a vortex III over any macbook any day

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
:D he got it for a good price 300 buck and he still thought that was deer for a laptop. Helped me pay for my new one though. :D Saying that he got my first gen iPad for 100 off me to.

PhilDotC

Having played with my mates iPhone, set up my wife and daughters Android phones I bought myself a Windows phone. It's the best of the lot in my opinion. Facebook, twitter, skype MSN etc all come through in a combined feed in built in "People" app. And now that I'm using Windows 8 my phone and laptop look almost the same :).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Having played with my mates iPhone, set up my wife and daughters Android phones I bought myself a Windows phone. It's the best of the lot in my opinion. Facebook, twitter, skype MSN etc all come through in a combined feed in built in "People" app. And now that I'm using Windows 8 my phone and laptop look almost the same :).

Wow thats awesome, Im guessing that phones on 7.5/Mango, you should have held on the new windows 8 ones are so much faster and higher resolution

That feed sounds call though, is there a way to tell which site it came from (like an icon on each message/post for fb twitter etc)

PhilDotC

Yes, under each message preview in the list is says "joe blogs on Twitter x minutes ago" or "john doe on Facebook 3 hours ago" etc. You can also filter which accounts you want to see updates from. I've tried to update a piccy.
peopleapp.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
A friend a uni had a samsung s3. I was surprised at how big it is! The first thing I thought was.

Bet that would make you a big target for muggers/thieves!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
A friend a uni had a samsung s3. I was surprised at how big it is! The first thing I thought was.

Bet that would make you a big target for muggers/thieves!

But people dont know what it is, whereas they know an iPhone is worth something guarenteed even if they steal an iPhone 4 whereas they may look at it and think its a big crappy phone

mishra

Rising Star
Ah there is one more reason one someone should think twice when selecting a mobile phone. Operating system and future upgrades.

Main reason why I abandoned my old Xperia mini and HTC Hero was that it would not upgrade to latest Android software. The same case applies to most Android phones! Jelly Beans is now out, is it available on Galaxy SIII (yes - but only in Poland atm). It will be available here in UK but you just have to wait. Will next release of Android (after Jelly Bean) be available to Galaxy SIII - I don't know - nobody knows that. You will be at the mercy of your phone supplier, etc... When I had my old HTC Hero, I waited 18 months for Android upgrade - after broken promises being broken one-by-one it actually never came!

With iPhone case is a bit easier to live with. When new iOS comes out it is automatically available for all iPhones not just the current models as it is with Android phones atm!

For some people this is a deciding thing, for others it's something irrelevant - still it is worth mentioning.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ah there is one more reason one someone should think twice when selecting a mobile phone. Operating system and future upgrades.

Main reason why I abandoned my old Xperia mini and HTC Hero was that it would not upgrade to latest Android software. The same case applies to most Android phones! Jelly Beans is now out, is it available on Galaxy SIII (yes - but only in Poland atm). It will be available here in UK but you just have to wait. Will next release of Android (after Jelly Bean) be available to Galaxy SIII - I don't know - nobody knows that. You will be at the mercy of your phone supplier, etc... When I had my old HTC Hero, I waited 18 months for Android upgrade - after broken promises being broken one-by-one it actually never came!

With iPhone case is a bit easier to live with. When new iOS comes out it is automatically available for all iPhones not just the current models as it is with Android phones atm!

For some people this is a deciding thing, for others it's something irrelevant - still it is worth mentioning.

New iOS is not available to all apple products, My iPad 1 doesnt get it, and neither does my ipod touch 3G, And the 3GS and below do not get it either, so they are almost as bad as android developers

Samsung would probably get it out to more devices if they didnt add touchwiz and things like that, same with HTC etc

Im guessing that if they keep the same windows release scheme as before, the windows 8 phones will be good for a solid 3 years, maybe more if microsoft allow it to update to windows 9 this time

mishra

Rising Star
Allright, didn't know about the iPhone 3G and iPad 1. Where iPhone 3G I can understand as this is now totally outdated device. I am quite stunned there is no iOS6 to iPad1.
Regarding 3GS I could swear my misses said the other day, it asked her to upgrade her 3GS to iOS6 and I said "NO don't do it" - need to double check it - I am not sure entirely, maybe she was about something different back then. She is not very techy you see.

Well with regards to updates to Android I do remember it. On my HTC hero, I think Vodafone released upgrades like months before orange did (wtf?!). So I waited (and everyone else in our company) and it never happened in the end. Then we got Samsung Galaxy S2 - which I am unsure if it will get Jelly Bean - I hope it will. What I could not understand it is not Manufacturer that releases upgrades but the phone network is. So if your phone is locked to Orange or o2, you can't just upgrade - you have to wait until your phone network will allow the upgrade (sick!). I am still unsure how it works - that is the reason it put me off from Androids. Even though I have still 2 phones with that system ^^

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Allright, didn't know about the iPhone 3G and iPad 1. Where iPhone 3G I can understand as this is now totally outdated device. I am quite stunned there is no iOS6 to iPad1.
Regarding 3GS I could swear my misses said the other day, it asked her to upgrade her 3GS to iOS6 and I said "NO don't do it" - need to double check it - I am not sure entirely, maybe she was about something different back then. She is not very techy you see.

Well with regards to updates to Android I do remember it. On my HTC hero, I think Vodafone released upgrades like months before orange did (wtf?!). So I waited (and everyone else in our company) and it never happened in the end. Then we got Samsung Galaxy S2 - which I am unsure if it will get Jelly Bean - I hope it will. What I could not understand it is not Manufacturer that releases upgrades but the phone network is. So if your phone is locked to Orange or o2, you can't just upgrade - you have to wait until your phone network will allow the upgrade (sick!). I am still unsure how it works - that is the reason it put me off from Androids. Even though I have still 2 phones with that system ^^

I think its the 3GS and below that dont get the update, and yeh, iPad is a surprise

And the SII will be getting the update

Here is what is supposed to be the list from Samsung http://www.kitguru.net/mobile/blair-mcclelland/samsung-announces-devices-that-will-get-android-4-1/

Didnt realise Samsung had such a huge list of products, I think they need to cut back a bit, pointless middle phones like the Beam and Chat that I dont think ive ever heard of and all the plus versions everywhere :/

mishra

Rising Star
Ah nice about S2 and Jelly Beans, can't wait to test it out... Had some good experience with S2 but the battery life is very bad. I have a suspicion it is only my phone tho, as work colleague phone battery is much better (still S2). Also it is my second S2 as the first one was returned under warranty after two weeks of use (1px horizontal red line across the screen!). So as you see S2 was a bit problematic for me. Regardless, it's still amazing phone and on par with iPhone 4/4S.

And you're right, no iOS6 to 3GS either. Shame as it's only a 3 years since it's release.

edit. Just did some googling again - as my mises confirmed she 100% had a message about an upgrade to iOS6 through iTunes, and it seems 3GS can be upgraded to iOS6. I'm baffled a bit..

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Going to dump my iPhone 4 when the Nokia Lumia 920 comes out (in nov hopefully!).

Want a change after 2 years and all the sodding patent battles annoying me :p

Yamikotai

Expert
Ya'll keep in mind that even though relatively older iOS devices can be updated to the latest version of iOS, it's not always a complete version of it - usually there's features cut out either because the device doesn't support them, or because Apple would prefer that only be on the latest device (such as how Siri worked on the iPhone 4 and 3GS before Apple bought it, and now they claim it wouldn't work on those devices).

So as you see S2 was a bit problematic for me. Regardless, it's still amazing phone and on par with iPhone 4/4S.
Agreed, and it's even better when you run a custom OS build like I am. I'm running a very smooth Jelly Bean on my S2.

Elpme

I got my first android phone last month, its an Orange San Diego, i like it's slim profile and large screen. The Intel inside it swung me into getting it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I got my first android phone last month, its an Orange San Diego, i like it's slim profile and large screen. The Intel inside it swung me into getting it.

going by benchmarks, its a pretty disappointing CPU and because its x86 rather than ARM, its not compatible with a majority of apps