So I'm tempted to upgrade anything new on the horizon?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Recently I have had the urge (and perhaps more importantly) the funding to upgrade. I know many of you like to keep up with the latest tech news, and lately I have had very little time to keep up with it. Basically I don't want to spend much more cash on my current rig as upgrading one part still leaves an issue somewhere else, its pretty well balanced at the moment and I don't strictly speaking need more performance but this may be my last chance to grab a decent upgradeable build for a few years.

Nearly 6 years ago I bought what I expected to be a tide me over type machine, little upgrade room basically just enough to suit my needs at the time. My problem is things don't seem to have moved on anywhere near enough to justify dumping a substantial slice of cash into a new machine. I'm currently running an i5 2500 and the performance boost from jumping to a 6600k seems pretty small for the overall outlay. I don't really think I'm going to benefit from a 6700k So basically does anyone hold out any hope for kaby lake, I had a quick look and I don't see too much actual news yet.

I'm happy enough with my 840 evo ssd, but those new Samsung NVMe drives look sweet. Anyone know of any game changers round the corner, and by round the corner I mean the next 6 months (ish). Otherwise I might just go for a 6600k and grab a nice motherboard and get PC with some upgrade potential.

I know if I hold on forever something new will always be round the corner, but I'm not in a forced upgrade position I just don't want to make a mess of it like I did last time.

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
TBH, I don't think the next generation is likely to be a game changer. That said, I am also holding out for a while to see what the new 200 series chip set will offer (hopefully better bios support for NVMe drives).........

....and yes, the new Smasung 960 Pro's look great (but at what price for 1-2TB versions)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Kaby Lake's supposed to be out in Jan afaik: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10610...s-six-notebook-skus-desktop-coming-in-january

This article lays out some of the notebook GPU comparisons: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Kaby-Lake-Core-i7-7500U-Review-Skylake-on-Steroids.172692.0.html Although given the focus on power efficiency for notebooks that doesn't necessarily say much about what to expect from the desktop CPUs.

I don't know if you're also considering buying a GPU, but if so and your current needs are met, Vega and Volta (AMD and Nvidia) will be coming out next year as well, Vega quite early on so we've been led to believe.

So checking out what's what in Jan/Feb could be one way to go

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I agree the recent trend has been towards power savings rather than outright punch which is a little disappointing as I do get the felling intel could be much further down the road if AMD were more of a threat again.

I'm not too tempted by a GPU at the moment, what I have will move into any new machine I get.

Ill spend the weekend having a dig about and see if I can see anything coming, if nothing takes my fancy ill order a decent specced rig with a focus on upgradability and I'm sure an overclocked i5 will handle just about everything I need for the next 5 years.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For notebooks it makes a lot of sense I guess. And the notebookcheck article does show the Kaby Lake with 15% better performance in single and multithreaded Cinebench over Skylake. If desktops give that return, I might suggest waiting.