[Solved] Headphone Jack Dies After Uninstalling Clevo Control Center?

ClevoRob

Are the older laptops really that much cheaper than the newer ones?

An RTX 2070 laptop is probably more than a 1070, but they're not really the same tier
I was looking on the used market since I have quite a limited budget this time around. Even the RTX 2060 laptops are selling for over £1000. Maybe with some patience I can find some kind of a deal on a new one. Building a desktop would offer much better value for money, but I'm not sure I could manage without the portability of a laptop. The older GTX 1070 laptops are a bit cheaper but there isn't a massive difference.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ah, yes, 2nd hand would affect prices given how these things devalue :)

What if you upgraded to a desktop and kept the laptop for when you need to get around? Or is it a case of selling one to fund the other...

Your 970M should have a bit of life left in it either way. It's around the 1050 ti.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
In your shoes I would build a high end desktop and keep the laptop. Gamestream etc can be used to play games on the laptop using the desktop power, if required.

ClevoRob

Yes, I did consider keeping the laptop and getting a desktop, although having files spread out across two PCs doesn't sound like fun, and I know my laptop will fetch £450 on the used market which is a lot of money towards something new. I'd also have to purchase a monitor and keyboard for a desktop PC which adds further cost. So although a desktop is cheaper I am not sure the difference would be worth it with everything factored into the equation.

And sure! The 970M still does reasonably well in 2019. Just recently I have been experimenting with overclocking which has helped bump it closer to 980M levels of performance. I was hoping to step into the world of 120FPS gaming with my next laptop. I just wish there were more options for 15" laptops which combined both 120Hz/144Hz refresh-rate and QHD resolution. I do a lot of photo editing in my spare time and the added resolution of QHD would be nice!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Cloud storage or just free file synchronisation software like FreeFileSync will handle the 2 devices.

The biggest difference with the desktop in price in the long run, of course, is that when you next find yourself having this conversation where you want beefed up gaming performance, you'll be able to just upgrade the GPU, or the CPU/mobo etc, without having to buy a whole new system.