Somebody Explain 3gb/s and 6gb/s Hard drives please.

LDUK

Master Poster
I'm still baffled by this.

I understand that 3gb/s is 3 gigabytes per second and that 6gb/s is 3gb/s faster.
However, I don't understand the point in any of them, or how 6gb/s can make a difference from 3gb/s with a Hard Drive, when a HDD can't even go an 8th of that speed anyway.

Anyone?

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
There is stuff out there that will communicate at 3gb/s (some SSD's I think)... It's getting ready for the future dude!!!

Won't be long till we see 6gb/s I think...

LDUK

Master Poster
There is stuff out there that will communicate at 3gb/s (some SSD's I think)... It's getting ready for the future dude!!!

Won't be long till we see 6gb/s I think...

Not even the fastest SSD is close to a quarter of that speed lol.
But there are HDD's that are sold with a 6gb/s speed.

The cache on the drive can be emptied super fast, thats about it.

That's what I was thinking. But you'll never notice the difference between 3 or 6. And with HDD's of 64mb cache space, it's pretty pointless lol.

It's a gimmick I'd say.

LinearHD

Rising Star
I agree, except with SSD's. The Intel 510 series only function on the 6gb/s ports (from my understanding) and their a new technology anyway and are likely to reach/exceed that speed in the coming year, maybe the year aftrer?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would have to agree with you as well LDUK,seems pretty pointless to me for the average user,except for what Gorman said.

LDUK

Master Poster
I agree, except with SSD's. The Intel 510 series only function on the 6gb/s ports (from my understanding) and their a new technology anyway and are likely to reach/exceed that speed in the coming year, maybe the year aftrer?

The Intel 510 series is 357MB/s with a 3 or 6gbp/s connection. Still pointless.

LinearHD

Rising Star
The Intel 510 series is 357MB/s with a 3 or 6gbp/s connection. Still pointless.

So why is it classed as a 6 gb/s drive? Surely manufacturers should label it as 3gb/s because some people might not have 6gb/s and be put of by the false label? Gimmick for sure.

LDUK

Master Poster
So why is it classed as a 6 gb/s drive? Surely manufacturers should label it as 3gb/s because some people might not have 6gb/s and be put of by the false label? Gimmick for sure.

3gb/s 6gb/s hell even it it said 500mb/s it would be a gimmick. I've seen people get worked up over the difference between 3 and 6, and it makes me wonder what they are thinking lol.

duvetdave

It could be for coming tech like Thunderbolt and Intel's version which I have read has speeds of 6/8 gb/s in the real world.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i remember recently a friend of mine run boot benchmark things on 2 same brand, same cache size, same drive size etc. drives both on the same machine and the 6 gb/s loaded about 15s quicker, or something around that mark, but most things cant be noticed