Sony Xperia Z1 Review

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Guys,

Got a new phone at the weekend the Sony Xperia Z1 just thought i would give a wee run down incase anyone else was eyeing it up.

If your used to android the software isn't going to be a major change to you. Its running 4.2.2 out of the box and has Sony's customized theme with their own icons and menu lay outs.

It has beautiful animations is very smooth and have had no lag so far. Because of the Sony customization it took me a little while to familiarize myself with the locations of some of the settings as they have moved from where they were on my Note 2 but not too much of a problem.

There is a lot of Sony Bloatware and Now that Google automatically puts their own apps as standard too it feels like your getting 2wice the bloatware as there are 2 apps for everything

Sony Walkman - Google Play Music
Sony Movies - Google Play Movies
Sony Select - Google Play Store
etc

If you could hide apps with the stock launcher that would be a handy feature to hide some of this problems

The screen quality is amazing, 1080 and looks bright and vibrant as they all fo in the shop when there connected to power supply but in the real world im sure most people will be knocking on some of the power saving options which will bring the brightness down even then it still looks great but if your already used to the bright look it may feel a bit of a step down to reduce the settings in favor of battery life.

I have a few sony products around the house and the phone has connected to them easly playing music from the phone while walking around the house is a great feature which again most phones will do.

The phone is thin and front and back are glass, i don't have protection on the back yet but doesn't have a single scratch on it after 5 days of use.

Although very well build i feel that it wouldn't survive a drop, i've watched the scratch test and the glass was left in perfect condition however you need to remove the shatter protection cover and replace it which is better than replacing the screen.

First thing i did was put this phone in a pint of water, its water proof up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes. Although you need to maintain the seals to ensure no dust or dirt is breaking the water tight seals.

I love this phone already, it makes audio a joy again which i missed from an iPhone, the sound quality is amazing.

I would recommend this phone to people who dont mind looking after it and polishing it, its a finger print magnet. Camera is amazing too 20mp with great features, some gimiky but still fun.