Sound playing through headphones and speakers

Been having problems with my audio on my new laptop: whenever I plug my headphones in (via 3.5mm jack into port on side) I get sound coming through both the laptop speakers and the headphones, is there any way to disable this? The headphones do not appear on the playback devices so I cannot set them as default. Operating System: Windows 8.1

Specs:
Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
mSATA SSD Drive 120GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster® Omni Surround 5.1 External

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I seem to remember this being solved by re installing the audio drivers.

Hope into your PCS account and find the download section, try installing the realtek ( or whatever the audio is on your laptop) drivers again.

I seem to remember this being solved by re installing the audio drivers.

Hope into your PCS account and find the download section, try installing the realtek ( or whatever the audio is on your laptop) drivers again.

i managed to resolve it after messing about with the settings in the Realtek manager for the best part of an hour; you go into realtek audio manager speakers page > device advanced settings > (check) make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously. After doing this, you go into playback devices and there should now be an icon for your headphones; set that as default and whenever you plug them in/remove them it will now switch between onboard speakers and headphones :)
http://gyazo.com/9c57268371dab3f6ca8e44402b44176a
http://gyazo.com/ae39e1260bac035c6ddabcd11df42bd6