Sound

PaulDJ

Hi, my partner bought a laptop from PCS (inv:895257) in 2015 and wants a new one now - pleased with it bar the limited volume and current spec options don't seem to offer better? Plugging into the stereo is not always possible. What can we do please?
Thanks
Paul

Stephen M

Author Level
Unfortunately laptop sound is never vary good because of the limited size for speakers. I always have mine connected to external speakers, perhaps a small USB or wifi sound bar would be the answer.

PaulDJ

Unfortunately laptop sound is never vary good because of the limited size for speakers. I always have mine connected to external speakers, perhaps a small USB or wifi sound bar would be the answer.
Thanks Stephen, appreciate your suggestions, but I was hoping not to use accessories for a custom spec laptop, though it appears the standard option is widely accepted. Will contact PCS.

markh

Bronze Level Poster
From reviews i've seen on here and elsewhere, the Vortex apparently has much better sound than the average laptop, there's a review in the 'show off your new machine' (not exact wording) section. It sounds like it has better built in speakers and an upgraded built in digital to analogue converter (DAC). Normally with most laptops I tend to plug in an external DAC or sound card

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sound is always going to be limited, as suggested, due to the speaker options. Even with the better hardware, DAC etc, it's not going to make a blind bit of difference to 2p sized speakers.

When I want some real sound I'm always grateful of the DAC for my headphones. I'm under no illusions of what is possible though. I have the Octane which, for a laptop, has decent sound but it's purely relative.

Stephen M

Author Level
Agree about the Octane, the sound for a laptop is pretty good and is enough for me when i am away working. I always have background music to work to but if I wanted to really relax and enjoy some music it falls short. I have a Logitech system, originally got for a TV and that is fine with the Octane, although not portable at all.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The only thing I can add to the excellent comments above, is that while the Vyper chassis has offered excellent value in terms of hardware, a (the only?) fairly consistent complaint has been that the onboard speakers are relatively poor and weak even for laptop speakers.

So depending on budget, you may end up steering clear of that chassis; or if you do go for it, be ready to use speakers/soundbar etc.