Soundbar not working

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I just bought a new Samsung TV that came with a free HW-H550 Wireless Soundbar. I don't need it for the TV as I have a Sony surround sound system hooked up to that, so I asked if it would work with my PC. They said as long as it has an optical port I'll be fine. I've been home for a while trying to get it to work and I can't figure it out. I have the soundbar and the sub-woofer powered on. The soundbar is in the mode for optical audio, and it's connected to my PC at the back through the optical port and it detects it. But nothing is working. When I test the sound the subwoofer rumbles and that's it.

This is correct? 770fba1ad3732cd8d85401116478be71.png

I've reset my PC, and used different cables to no avail.

steaky360

Maybe a daft question but have you checked the soundbar elsewhere to make sure its working ok?

If you right click on the Realtek Digi Output you've got selected then click configure speakers try to change the options to 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the soundbar specs see if that makes any difference.

Otherwise, if you check to see what devices are unplugged / disabled you might have a second option for an optical out?

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Maybe a daft question but have you checked the soundbar elsewhere to make sure its working ok?

If you right click on the Realtek Digi Output you've got selected then click configure speakers try to change the options to 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the soundbar specs see if that makes any difference.

Otherwise, if you check to see what devices are unplugged / disabled you might have a second option for an optical out?

I have not had it plugged in elsewhere as it's a huge pain to get it wired up to my PC as I have wire management everywhere, it took me like 30 mins just to get it hooked up and longer to position it. I probably should have waited to do that I just assumed it would work. I have no option to configure it's greyed out. And I showed all Disconnected and Disabled devices only one Optical shows up.

steaky360

Hmm, the other thing I can think of worth testing is to see if you can plug another device into the optical link and see if you get any sound out (I appreciate this may also be difficult as you might not have another device). Might help narrow down the issue...

You could try adjusting the volume on the speaker / computer when its plugged in see if it makes a difference?

I just find it curious that the Sub seems to burble (which I guess is plugged into the soundbar) and the soundbar itself doesn't make any noise.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Hmm, the other thing I can think of worth testing is to see if you can plug another device into the optical link and see if you get any sound out (I appreciate this may also be difficult as you might not have another device). Might help narrow down the issue...

You could try adjusting the volume on the speaker / computer when its plugged in see if it makes a difference?

I just find it curious that the Sub seems to burble (which I guess is plugged into the soundbar) and the soundbar itself doesn't make any noise.

The Subwoofer connects to the soundbar wireless but it is connected. I only have the one other device that uses Optical and that's in an even more of a mess of wires going around my entire room. But I'll have a look around. I've checked the volumes, Windows says it's at 100, I've turned the soundbar all the way up with nothing.