SOUNDCARD : xfi TITANIUM pci express vs. xfi XTREMEGAMER

yamibone

Which is the better sound card out of these two? The titanium is £1 more expensive but where can I read about specs and which one is reviewed higher?

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
Would check the SB forum about driver issues before you buy any card of theirs. My X-Fi Platinum on my second pc had issues with the two main MMO's I play, Lotro and Anarchy Online.

Bsods with Lotro
AO + Teamspeak, losing audio in TS

Removing the card cures both issues and just using the onboard chip. So since the X-Fi cards and well reported issues they had, I've avoided getting any additional card and stick with the onboard card, especially if its a SB. Nothing but faults keep being reported on the tech forum for Lotro if its a SB.

Gorman

Author Level
Would check the SB forum about driver issues before you buy any card of theirs. My X-Fi Platinum on my second pc had issues with the two main MMO's I play, Lotro and Anarchy Online.

Bsods with Lotro
AO + Teamspeak, losing audio in TS

Removing the card cures both issues and just using the onboard chip. So since the X-Fi cards and well reported issues they had, I've avoided getting any additional card and stick with the onboard card, especially if its a SB. Nothing but faults keep being reported on the tech forum for Lotro if its a SB.

There is a lot of truth in that modern on board sound is more than adequate for gaming. Its only when you want extra front ports or are using the card professionally that you need a sound card. Not having them to hand at the minute i will have to post the detailed difference between the two for you tomorrow.

Gorman

Author Level
And our resident audiophile says:

only Titanium if wanting digital output and more bluray/movie orientated otherwise ExtremeGamer would be fine they both have the same EAX version

PaulH

Bright Spark
On board is perfectly fine, I honestly dont think you will notice a difference, if you go for the Crosshair IV or the Rampage III you get a supreme X-FI card bundled with it, more than enough for most peoples tastes :)