Southpark RPG

Usukane

Gold Level Poster
It says "Very little is known about the game at this point; it's described as a "full-scale RPG" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC" on the OP link. So it's the Wii & not PC which is being cold-shouldered? lol

I'm excited that it's being developed by Obsidian, loved Fallout: New Vegas.

Also, I read the OP as MMORPG for some reason - which I think would have been awful xD this probably won't win any Game of the Year awards, but it should be a laugh.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
the problem with games like these is that they are usually created by one off game studios that end up closing soon after, but an experienced developer sounds very promising

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Nothing wrong with new game studios, theyre only one off because the games they created were bad, but then studios are capable of making good games too. Can only ever judge a studio on what they produce.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Someone over at NeoGAF apparently got hold of the South Park edition of Game Informer and has posted up relevant details. These include:
- You play as a silent protagonist. A new kid in town who must work to fit in.
- It’s the first South Park game Stone and Parker have actively participated in and written the script for.
- Obsidian is using the Dungeon Siege III engine, there will be five classes (wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue, and a fifth unannounced class).
- Apparently “elements of the combat system are like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games”. So it’s an RPG map with turn-based encounters.
From
Rps

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
of course new studios can make good games, take dead island for example, and even that proved to be very buggy, when do new studios ever make record breaking games, it also depends on budget, these other games probably had a budget of £10 and were destined to fail, this sounds like it should have a lot more money behind it

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
of course new studios can make good games, take dead island for example, and even that proved to be very buggy, when do new studios ever make record breaking games, it also depends on budget, these other games probably had a budget of £10 and were destined to fail, this sounds like it should have a lot more money behind it

Not necesserily about money, more about talent tbh. I know its a different genre but take something like angry birds or doodle jump, both incredibly sucessful games, both by individual developers with pretty low budget, also look at minecraft, increadibly sucessful game, single developer.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
lol true, although were these games not made better by the money that came flooding in?

also these are slightly different, all indie games, a game by a new company like dead island requires money unlike minecraft (to start with) as it has to employ 100s to make the game, and technically you can say, that minecraft was created with a big budget seeing as the majority of the time it wasn't technically released

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
lol true, although were these games not made better by the money that came flooding in?

also these are slightly different, all indie games, a game by a new company like dead island requires money unlike minecraft (to start with) as it has to employ 100s to make the game, and technically you can say, that minecraft was created with a big budget seeing as the majority of the time it wasn't technically released

What? Angry birds when it was released was in its final state , they have only added extra content to it now that it has become seccessful. Dead island only requires more people because of the size of the game etc, but employing 20 people which is all you need for a decent game doesnt cost anywhere near the amount that for example theyve spent on SWTOR.

Minecraft has still not been released, but the mian game engine and main start to the beta was programmed by a single person, he still only now has 1 more developer working on it. So even with all the money pouring in its still only a 2 man team, one of which is still the original notch.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Is it just me or does the game type and subject matter seem like an odd combination? If i was looking to make an rpg Southpark is the last universe i would think of using...

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Is it just me or does the game type and subject matter seem like an odd combination? If i was looking to make an rpg Southpark is the last universe i would think of using...

I think it would make a great "universe" I mean think of what happens in all episodes, now imagine picking one of the four main characters and having to go on quests, tht seems like fun to me :) lols

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
From metro's game central

The most important details are that the game uses the Dungeon Siege III graphics engine and that you play a new, silent, protagonist who you can customise in one of five different classes.

Apparently there's only one screenshot in the article, and even that may not be from gameplay, but the idea is to make the game look exactly like the show. This may involve some sort of Paper Mario style 2D-gameplay-in-a-3D-world action, but it's not entirely clear as yet.

The combat is also described in terms of the Mario role-players though, which seems like a good fit to us. We expect to see and hear more about the game at the Spike VGA awards this weekend.

Basics
-The first game Parker and Stone have directly participated in, writing the script and the dialogue.
-Parker has always preferred silent protagonists in RPGs, so the player’s character will be silent.
-The player’s character will be fully customisable.
-Your character has a smartphone that acts as the primary game menu and has a Facebook-like app show the number of friends you have and your current standing with the various kid factions.
-There are five classes, which are wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue, and a fifth unannounced class.
-Obsidian is using the Dungeon Siege III engine.
-Obsidian developed a dynamic lip-syncing tool to accommodate changes to the script.
-Parker and Stone gave Obsidian 15 years of assets used during the show and a detailed list of approved textures and colours.
-Critical hits, cash rewards, experience, and consumables are in the game.
-Parker hates unskippable cut scenes.
-The humour will be more focus on the games they have played in the past but Parker mentions that games have lampooned other games before so they don't want to do exactly that instead they are focusing more on RPGs on how big and bombastic they can get sometimes.

Story
-The player will play as the new kid in town, the main theme of the game is fitting in and being accepted.
-The story begins with your character participating in a live action role-playing game that the neighbourhood kids started, which eventually evolves into a real adventure.
-Eric Cartman will greet your character and help you decide your class, which are wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue, and a fifth unconventional class made up by Cartman.

Combat
-Many elements of the combat system are like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games.
-If player initiates combat they will attack first and vice versa.
-X button is for melee attacks, pressing it in well-timed succession will result in multiple hits.
-Timed inputs occur for defence as well for reduced damage.
-Obsidian doesn't want the player to have to sit and watch animations play out; they're incorporating dynamic camera angels at certain times, such as a Ro Sham Bo attack that stuns an enemy.

Role-playing
-Enemy encounters are visible on the map.
-Soda are health potions and Tweak's coffee is a haste item.
-There are melee and ranged weapons, as well as a lightning powered Okama Gameshpere that is a magic item.
-There is a Final Fantasy Materia like system in the game to augment weapons with various abilities like fire, poison, and electricity.
-There is a Summon System but they are not able to talk about it.

Collectibles
-There are collectibles to look for in the environments, some appear throughout the game while other are in specific areas.
-An example of a collectible is a Chinpokomon doll and a magazine, Chinpokomon dolls are not all the same model Obsidian are using various models that appeared in the episode.

Other
-When Obsidian were first coming up with ideas they show Parker and Stone a quest where you go into a cave and fight a giant bat boss that Ike is riding on, Parker and Stone said that the quest wasn't Southpark, that it was a generic video-game. Parker and Stone then mention a quest to get Kung Pao Chicken from City Wok, to readjust Obsidian focus.
-When they start making the town hub Parker and Stone realised that they did not have a true layout for the town, so they had fun figuring out where everything went.
-There will not be any platforming, they tried jumping early on but it didn't seem right.
-They talk about how they have had to scrap level because the perspective wasn't right because everything is hand-illustrated and hand-animated.

Concept Art (spoilers!)
-The first concept art is a 'Gnome Mine' a concept, my guess underpants gnomes.
-The second concept art is 'UFO Crash Site', it shows Kenny, Cartman, Stan, and Kyle in front of a military fence with a UFO further away in a forest surround in mountains.
-The third concept art is a 'Gnome/Crab People D.M.Z.' label as a rough concept, it show a border fence with gnomes on one side and Crab People on the other side.
-The last concept art is 'Christmas Town' a concept.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/883915-first-south-park-rpg-details-revealed#ixzz1fggqZYUT

Last edited:

oli090

Enthusiast
Quote from pagelicked above :) it says pc, but ill get it on xbox as im a hardcore console player so doesnt effect me :)
Very little is known about the game at this point; it's described as a "full-scale RPG" for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC