Space X Starship Test Flight

D

Deleted member 41971

Well I wouldn't have thought this was a good advert

Elon Musk News GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

robin h 25

Some news on Artemis and Starship,

Artemis 1 will be ready to rollout to the launch pad on August 18th, and if there's no more hiccup's it will launch on August 29th,

Starship's first orbital launch plan has changed slightly, Originally if all goes well, both the Starship and Booster, when they come back down to earth, Space X planned to land them both in the ocean,
Due to the FAA giving Space X only few test flight per year for the Texas site, Space X want's to get as much done with each upcoming flight,
That now means, That Space X with the first orbital launch, There still going to be landing Starship 24 in the ocean but for the Super Heavy Booster,
Space X are going for it!, The very first mid-air catch of the Booster, That's going to be history in the making if Space X can catch it and something not to be missed,
It's going to end in one of two ways, both of which will be spectacular, Space X will catch it or it will end in a fiery explosion if they miss.

Here's a short animation video of what the Booster catch should look like, when it happens...

robin h 25

The Static Firing of both Starship and Booster has commenced...
Booster 7 was repaired after the explosion that had happened, 13 engines were replaced.

With static firing now underway we could see a launch in and around September🤞.

robin h 25

Artemis 1 is sat ready and waiting at Launch pad 39B,
The flight termination system was activated the moment it left the VAB (vehicle assembly building) and it has an expiry date of only 20 days.

Artemis 1 has three launch window attempts, before the flight termination system expires,
29th August , 2nd September and 5th September, if it doesn't launch on any of these dates, it will need to roll back to the VAB for a new install of a flight termination system and launch time/date.

As of right now, Artemis 1 is ready to fly to the Moon and the countdown clock is ticking... T-Minus 10 days.

robin h 25

Almost T-Minus 3 Hours left before launch, Artemis is almost fully fueled,

Below are a few extra live streams watching this launch happen.

robin h 25

Engine issues, Engine 3 of the four main engines wasn't bleeding cryogenic fuel to cool engine 3 down to temperature,
without that engine being cooled down it would likely have an engine melt down due to the heat if it launched, so it was scrubbed.

Hopefully it will get sorted out / fixed for Friday attempt🤞

Last edited:

robin h 25

Just noticed NASA has changed the launch date for Artemis, It's no longer Friday, It's now on Saturday at 2:17pm EST (18:17 UTC) for the launch attempt.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Artemis launch attempt for today has been scrubbed / aborted due to a hydrogen leak happening again and the rocket couldn't fuel the main hydrogen fuel tank,

Next attempt maybe on Monday or Tuesday.
They're not having a lot of luck with it at the moment are they

robin h 25

Just as i thought, NASA won't be making a launch attempt for today or tomorrow, their going to be rolling back to the VAB,
NASA will be leaving the rocket out at launch pad 39B for a week or two before rollback, To attempt some repairs at the pad and fix the leak and to test the repair by partially fueling the rocket, just to see if they fixed the leak,
It will then rollback to have a new flight termination system installed and to have all of the systems battery's recharged,

So the next launch date for Artemis will be in mid to end of October.

They're not having a lot of luck with it at the moment are they
Not at all, saying that, Space X Starship is not having much luck either at the moment.

robin h 25

Starship's Super Heavy Booster 7 has just done a 7 engine static fire,
Turn up the volume on the video to hear the roar of those 7 engines..

I can't wait see the full 33 engine static fire.

News on Artemis...
On the 21st September, their going to partially fuel the rocket to test out the repairs and it has launch date/attempt on the 27th September,
though it's not rolled back to the VAB, the rocket is still sat on the launch pad,
During the NASA press conference after the last abort, NASA said the rocket would have to roll back no matter what happens, as of right now i'm not sure if it's going to roll back with a another launch attempt in 8 days.

Last edited:

robin h 25

NASA has aborted the Artemis 1 launch for the 27th September due to Hurricane Ian that's off the coast of Florida,
I've been keeping an eye on NASA updates, on if their keeping the rocket out at the launch pad for an attempt on 2nd October, NASA has not long decided that there rolling back the rocket to the VAB tonight, 2nd of October is no longer a launch attempt date,
The next launch date has not yet been confirmed but is looking like mid to end of October for Artemis.

As for Space X, Elon Musk is targeting sometime in November for the very first Starship orbital launch attempt, This is the closest first confirmed launch date attempt from Space X, no actual date as of yet but November is the target.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
NASA will attempt the next launch for Artemis in November, and with Space X also targeting a November launch for Starship, The space race is back on, as to which one will launch first.
That's a shame, but we're talking billions at stake here, holding off a little is a small price to pay for getting it right.

Is NASA still primarily publicly funded, or do they have private contributors these days?

robin h 25

That's a shame, but we're talking billions at stake here, holding off a little is a small price to pay for getting it right.
As the saying goes, it's cheaper to scrub/abort and try again another day, Than to watch this 2+ billion dollar rocket go BOOM, They do need to get it right, We don't want to see another event happen like the Space Shuttle Challenger,

The whole Artemis program i believe is costing just short of 100 billion dollars.

Is NASA still primarily publicly funded, or do they have private contributors these days?
I believe it's still public funded and government funded, I know president Biden has increased NASA budget through government funding, and it's NASA biggest increase since the Apollo program,

NASA budget of almost 100 billion dollars, with that, we will be going back to the Moon and on to Mars, The target is to have the very first astronauts walking on the surface of Mars by 2040, NASA's Artemis program and Space X Starship program will be working together to achieve this.

robin h 25

Also forgot to mention, That it also includes new Space Stations that are planned, One i believe will replace the ISS after it retires, another to orbit around the Moon and one to one day to orbit around Mars,

These new space stations are called Gateway stations, and they will need to be build and put in place before we can achieve a permanent human presence on the Moon and Mars, and that is way beyond my life time to see, I'll be lucky to hopefully🤞 see the first astronauts walking on Mars.

The first Gateway space station will first be build for the orbiting of the Moon, https://www.nasa.gov/gateway/overview.