Spec Check and Questions

pjb729

No problem at all with that system, I didn’t have to give it much thought at all, it’s straight into the weird section.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂

Its strange how purely functional items become an “art” form, you either understand it or you don’t!!!!!

pjb729

A little off topic but certainly spec related, can any one point me in the direction of any good information regarding the set up of a boot drive for the OS and programs and a seperate drive for the data. I need to understand how to organise my files to leave my "C" drive for Windows 11 Pro and my Data on the storage drive.

My spec is constructed with this in mind, see my spec earlier in the thread, whilst my PC is being built I thought it would be a good use of my time reading up on it as this set up is new to me.

When my new PC arrives I have Windows 11 Pro to get my head around, I am currently using Windows 10 pro, along with migrating my all programes to the new PC, its a lot to think about and when your a bit long in the tooth it takes time to sink in.

Any advice, tips etc always welcome...............but no flashing RGB lights needed :)

Last edited:

pjb729

After reading articles on the internet I believe I understand what I need to do :-

Use the C drive soley for my OS, I understand you can put programes that you want to run fast onto the "C" but I am going to keep those to an aboslute minimum.

On the D storage drive I need to change the install location of my programs to D, I also need to change the default location of Document, Pictures, Downloads etc to "D" drive. I can do this by the use of Libraries in Navigation pane and change the default location in Properties.

Any advice most welcome

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
After reading articles on the internet I believe I understand what I need to do :-

Use the C drive soley for my OS, I understand you can put programes that you want to run fast onto the "C" but I am going to keep those to an aboslute minimum.

On the D storage drive I need to change the install location of my programs to D, I also need to change the default location of Document, Pictures, Downloads etc to "D" drive. I can do this by the use of Libraries in Navigation pane and change the default location in Properties.

Any advice most welcome
That's the basic jist of it yeah, to put it simply if you keep your primary drive (C: ) under 50% full then the OS should always run at it's most optimal speeds. Ideally you want your OS and anything that launches on start up on this drive, you can then use any remaining space for a couple of key apps should you want to.

The Secondary Drive (D: ) you can fill this up with everything else

pjb729

That's the basic jist of it yeah, to put it simply if you keep your primary drive (C: ) under 50% full then the OS should always run at it's most optimal speeds. Ideally you want your OS and anything that launches on start up on this drive, you can then use any remaining space for a couple of key apps should you want to.

The Secondary Drive (D: ) you can fill this up with everything else
I planned to put my antivus (Webroot) and my vpn (Nord) onto the OS "C" drive and thats about it, they are about the only programs I need on start up. The OS in on a 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W) so there should be plenty of space

Thanks for your input

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Personally I wouldn't bother with Webroot, Windows Defender is free with Windows and just as good as any of the commercial anti viruses out there.

Recent trend has seen pretty much every anti virus go the route of being a complete system hog and then removing them almost being as difficult as removing a virus itself. I personally just stick with Defender and practice good internet browsing habits.

The greatest threat to your machine is you and no anti virus on earth can protect the machine from what you do to it unfortunately

pjb729

Thank you for your advice👍

As I eluded to my second post I probably don’t use my PC in the same manner you do, my tower PC is a research tool. Webroot has saved my bacon a number of times, because of the research I do I get sent files from all over the world, it’s not as simple as good browsing habits. The professional people who send me the files are not malicious they are probably not as careful as they should be with their own computer security😩

From my point of view Webroot is money well spent I haven’t been infected with a virus for a long time.

Last edited: