Specs for a DAW laptop

Pacopene

I'm trying to decide on a machine for doing some home recordings as well as being able to play some modern games (this isn't a really high level necessity though).

What I was selecting is as follows:

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

USB Options
4 PORT USB 2.0 EXTERNAL HUB + STANDARD USB PORTS

All the other options I am looking at are standard (except for silver warranty).

Total Price £682.00

What I want to know is if these stats are a)good enough for gaming as I am sure that they will cope with Ableton Live quite easily b) if it is worth getting the creative sound blaster pro or whether there is a better like-for-like on the market c) if there are any other reasons I should be looking at an upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

1. Nice laptop, well balanced spec and good for moderate gaming. If you want to play games to a higher level, consider the Optimus II.

2. For a Digital Audio Workstation, I would recommend one of the Creative external soundcards for a higher quality of sound. The onboard sound is great, but the Creative soundcards are a more professional choice.

3. My only upgrade suggestion is consider the full HD 1920 x 1080 screen. It's on special offer at the moment and will certainly give you the best picture.