Speed test issue

Dauragon

Hey,

I'm having a bit of an odd issue with my network. I noticed I was getting poor connection speeds (advertised speed 200mbps), so I've been testing other cables and I have these results:

Cat 5 (max 100mbps):
Speed test result/browser download speed = 80mbps (10MB/s)
Steam download speed = 80mbps (10MB/s)

Cat 5e, 6 & 7:
Speed test result/browser download speed = 10 - 20mbps (1.2 - 2.5MB/s)
Steam download speed = 192mbps (24MB/s)

I don't understand why cat 6 and 7 are slashing one part of my bandwidth while broadening the other. The cat 5 is working as intended, and the steam download speed is close to intended on cat 6/7.

I've tried speed tests at the Ookla website, Google and ThinkBroadband, and I've tried ThinkBroadbands "very large file" download test, too, all on both Chrome and Edge. All very similar results. I've tried resetting WINSOCK to default, IPV4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults and disabling auto-tuning. I've checked task manager and the network usage figures align with the download speeds so something else isn't eating my bandwidth.

I'm using Windows 10, a Virgin Media Super Hub 3 and the built in ethernet port on my Asus Z-97A. My network is simple; fibre into the modem/router combo, ethernet from the modem/router combo to my PC.

If you guys have any ideas on how I can find out what's up, I'd appreciate it. It's really baking my noodle.

EDIT: Altered units of speed, for clarity. Added cat 5e results.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
24 MB/S with your steam download there is pretty much your 200mbps...

Do other devices behave the same? A laptop you can try, or even your phone?

Dauragon

The two phones connected to the network both cap out at 50something mbps, because of their own hardware limitations, so it seems the 10-20mbps is only the one wired device, my PC.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As per Oussebon, are you sure you're not confusing mega bits per second (mbps) with mega bytes per second (mBps)?

Dauragon

Yep. In the speeds I recorded, the steam download ones are in mBps and the speed test ones are in mbps. The main problem is the reported 10-20 mega bits per second from the speed test with the cat 6. The steam download speed is fine; I just don't understand why I'm getting that anomalous result on multiple speed tests and only when using cat 6/7. Cat 5 seems to function properly (ish) at 80mbps, and until tomorrow I won't have any cat 5e to test.

Dauragon

Cat 5e has exactly the same result as 6 and 7; 10-20 mbps on anything through a browser (speed tests, downloads), and 184-192 mbps (23-24 mBps) on Steam (I've added this to the initial post).

I'll restate - I've tried different browsers. Using the ThinkBroadband "large file download test" I tried ports 80, 81 and 8080, I got download speeds consistent with only having 10-20mbps (1-2MB/s), and I'd be surprised if the reason for the low download speed was due to the website, although you're welcome to test your own download speeds and see.

So what could be throttling my connection, but only through my browser (and potentially other programs I can't test as easily)? I've virus and malware scanned.

Attachments

• Google M-Labs Test.png
    Google M-Labs Test.png
    7 KB · Views: 315
  • Ookla Speed Test.png
    Ookla Speed Test.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Steam Download.png
    Steam Download.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

Dauragon

I don't, at least as far as I can tell. I've checked the proxy settings on Chrome and there's nothing in the "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings" box, and under "LAN settings" the proxy box is not checked.

I once had NordVPN installed but don't anymore, and occasionally use Tor, and I've attached my network connections folder (just in case anything on here might be making an impact, but I don't think it is?). I'm actually not sure what the middle one even is.
Network Connections.png

Dauragon

Locally, I think. I just let it configure itself. The tests were run through Edge and Chrome, though, rather than Tor. I have run a test through Tor, and the speed was - as would be expected - even lower.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You might find that it's down to the Intel Ethernet adapter 'tuning'. If you open the adapter properties (in Device Manager) and click theAdvanced tab you can experiment with all these 'tuning' features. The Intel Ethernet Advanced Settings webpage details what they all do.

I found that the reliability of my (UK) TV streaming improved when I set the transmit and receive buffer values to their maximum for example. There's a lot of 'intelligence' in Intel Ethernet adapters and lots you can play with....

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ensure your adapter is set to full duplex. Manually configure it if you can. Also, ensure the duplex speed is 1000mb (1gb).

Dauragon

Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I'm operating a little in the dark on the Intel Ethernet Advanced Settings, even with the help of the webpage. It's hard to know what change will have what effect.

I have tried experimenting with the transmit and receive buffer values, and I have also changed the link speed setting from auto to 1.0 gbps full duplex, but neither of these have rectified my issue, as of yet.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I'm operating a little in the dark on the Intel Ethernet Advanced Settings, even with the help of the webpage. It's hard to know what change will have what effect.

I have tried experimenting with the transmit and receive buffer values, and I have also changed the link speed setting from auto to 1.0 gbps full duplex, but neither of these have rectified my issue, as of yet.
You're not going to do any physical damage to anything with any of those settings so you can afford to play with them to see whether any affect your issues - and they might. Just make a note of what all the default (or current) settings are - and experiment! :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Out of curiosity, try half duplex and 100mb.

It won't max out your connection but if you manage to get past 2MB/s in your download then it shows a pairing issue with the duplex settings.

Dauragon

Out of curiosity, try half duplex and 100mb.

It won't max out your connection but if you manage to get past 2MB/s in your download then it shows a pairing issue with the duplex settings.

I've just tried these, and it's turning up interesting results.

100mbps half duplex:
Speed test: 39.7mbps
Steam test: ~40mbps

100mbps full duplex:
Speed test: 78.4mbps
Steam test: ~80mbps

1.0gbps full duplex:
Speed test: ~12mbps
Steam test: ~200mbps

So I am getting more speed through my browser when I alter the settings down to 100mbps, and - as to be expected - less speed through Steam, which seems to always get the expected speed.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Is there something that could be prioritisng different kinds of traffic? Possibly even your ISP?

So when browser traffic goes above a certain usage it gets nerfed...

Dauragon

It'd surprise me if it was the ISP, as they have you run a speed test to make sure you're getting the speed you're supposed to be getting. As for something throttling it on my end, I've tried rebooting into networked safe mode and doing a speed test, and I get the same results.