Sports Management games

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It has been noted on this forum that I have a stupidly big Steam library (2,390 games and counting!), and I have also been quite open that I enjoy most sports. I don't really have the hand/eye co-ordination to be any good at the games that require you to actually do the sport, but I've always enjoyed sports management games, so I figured I'd put together a post covering a few of my favourite games in the genre across a few different sports.

Football
These days, there's only one football management game of any real size out there and it's Football Manager. I was a long-term player of the game, but year on year, the game has gotten more and more complex to the point where completing an in-game season takes weeks of play. The depth of the series is absolutely staggering now, but that has come at the cost of speed of play. I used to enjoy watching the kids of players I started with develop after playing a couple of decades, but I've not done more than 4 or 5 seasons in one game in quite some time.

It never used to be this way though, the first management game I played was Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 which can still be found online, but requires a bit of fiddling about with to get playing on modern hardware. Still, as you can see from the pic below, the game was a beauty!

ultimate-soccer-manager-98-02.png

Baseball
The first sports management game I tried outside of football was baseball, specifically the Out of the Park Baseball series. They're incredibly indepth and have most of the main leagues worldwide fully licensed - if that's your thing. I like the balance in the series between depth and speed of play, as even with a 162-game season (as in MLB), you can still move through a season in a couple of evenings quite easily. The series also features a really good editor, so you can create your own leagues - I once created a British Baseball League which was fun. OOTP 17 is one of my most played games on Steam ever, with well over 1,600 hours played.

I'd also give a little shout out to the makers of Baseball Mogul as a fun, if smaller focussed game.

ss_96e9419101ddf85fcf0740a5ec9dbd7732739dd2.1920x1080.jpg

Ice Hockey
I've never seen a hockey game live - my nearest team of any size is Manchester, but I'm not sure I should go anywhere near Manchester with an accent like mine. That being said, the publishers of OOTP Baseball also do an ice hockey series, Franchise Hockey Manager, which keeps sucking me back in. I've currently got a game in the Canadian junior hockey leagues which is eating up a lot of my time recently. I'm typically trying to find the next NHL superstar, but still get a little teary-eyed when one of "my" kids makes it to the NHL.

20210917185254_1.jpg

US Sports
Wolverine Studios are probably the go-to company for American football and basketball, but I'd advise you to buy from them directly, as the Steam versions are quite glitchy (I think it's to do with the Steam overlay and how that interacts with the game). Their basketball games are Draft Day Sports: College Basketball and Pro Basketball

If you prefer your balls funny-shaped, Draft Day Sports: College Football and Pro Football have you covered. Wolverine Studios have included the rather nifty feature that players can be imported between games, so if a college kid looks good and you want to see how he'd do in the big leagues, you can import him and his draft class into the pro game and see.

Rugby (both codes)
Growing up with a Scottish dad in a city on the edge of league country, I've had a fair amount of exposure to our own funny-shaped ball games. Most of the rugby management games on the market are a bit pants, but I feel that Rugby Union Team Manager 3 and Rugby League Team Manager 3 are both solid efforts and probably the best games out there, but they do need mods if you want licensed teams/players, etc.

Wrestling
Stretching the "sports" bit a touch, I'm a long term casual fan of the often wacky world of professional wrestling - it's the spandex obviously!

There's a long-running series of wrestling games Total Extreme Wrestling which are definite timesinks, as they come with a fully-realised database of a fictional universe inspired by real-life. The game also has a fantastic editor and so modders have created mods covering most of the major wrestling events over the last 30 years. You can try and re-create history, or go off and do your own thing. This is another one I'd go direct to the developer for as only the older games in the series are on Steam.

I started this thread as half an idea of something to do and have ended up spending the last hour and a half putting this all together - I must be mad.

Still are there any sports management games out there that I've missed or that you'd like to see get some love? Or perhaps should see about adding to my backlog!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Having eccentric sporting tastes, I spent much of my childhood playing International Cricket Captain

1631904739172.png

and then most of my time at university playing Pro Cycling Manager.

maxresdefault.jpg

That said, I'm pretty sure I also played Ultimate Soccer Manager during the brief period in the late 90s when I was into football. (The era when "Three Lions" was fresh, innovative and ever so slightly cool.) I don't actually play any of these kinds of games any more (or indeed much at all), but I'm very fond of all of them.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Having eccentric sporting tastes, I spent much of my childhood playing International Cricket Captain

View attachment 29320

and then most of my time at university playing Pro Cycling Manager.

View attachment 29321

That said, I'm pretty sure I also played Ultimate Soccer Manager during the brief period in the late 90s when I was into football. (The era when "Three Lions" was fresh, innovative and ever so slightly cool.) I don't actually play any of these kinds of games any more (or indeed much at all), but I'm very fond of all of them.
I've played both of those games. I have no interest in cricket, but a lad I was in school with played some 1 day matches and so was included in International Cricket Captain.

Pro Cycling Manager is still going as a series and a game that I tried to get into a few times, but I guess didn't have the knowledge to properly master it.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I lost almost a full year of my life to Championship Manager many moons ago. I’m tempted to pick up Football Manager for the iPad when baby arrives, it’ll be a good one to pick up and put down at a moments notice.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I lost almost a full year of my life to Championship Manager many moons ago. I’m tempted to pick up Football Manager for the iPad when baby arrives, it’ll be a good one to pick up and put down at a moments notice.
I lost several lifetimes to Championship Manager.

In terms of your Football Manager thoughts, I'm with Oscar Wilde "I can resist everything, except temptation!"

Bhuna50

Author Level
Anyone interested in motor racing, then there is Motorsport Manager - which is worth it when on sale, but does get a bit 'samey' several seasons in.

rouchie

Rising Star
It was interesting when the old Championship manager team parted with Eidos and managed to retain the rights to the look and feel of the game while Eidos kept the title, for me Sports Interactive/Football Manager absolutely knocked the new Champioship Manager team "Out of the Park" (which they also went on to produce!) When they tried to produce and maintain an online version for the guys that used to clan up and play online together, I was really excited but for whatever reason that fizzled out although I still have fond memories of Charlie Mulgrew and Jimmy Briand from my team then! The current version of FM can be tailored to suit how involved you want to be so you can literally turn up on the day with the team and do nothing else or manage all of the tiniest details that need attending to in a modern football club (this is not an advertorial) I buy it every year and devote far too many hours to this game, but I love and so do, now, both my sons :)