SSD: 120GB Intel 520 OR 120GB Hyper-X 3k !?

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
I spent many hours comparing all the components for my laptop build and all I can say is I did pick the Kingston but soon changed to the intel after much reading, but can not remember what changed my mind.

Google is the answer.

Jedimaca

Bronze Level Poster
I'd personally go with the intel as it has a longer lifespan of 5000 read and write the capacity 5000 times vs 3000 of the Kingston hyper 3k. The Kingston is slightly faster but the lifespan would appeal most to me.

steaky360

I'm still wondering whether this whole lifespan issue is a bit of a red herring (I'm actually kinda hoping it is... given I have the Kingston 3k SSD :p). Although it is fact that the Intel can perform more read/write cycles than the Kingston I am not convinced normal use will really see a great loss with the shorter lifespan. I would imagine in 3-5 year I would upgrade my PC again which would likely include a new SSD for the OS.

Obviously I'm speaking personally but if you are only using the SSD for the OS and a few programs I would imagine you'd break the SSD by other means (water, nuclear war, aliens, etc.) before the SSD would give up the ghost due to read/write cycle's.

Of course I could be back on here in a few year complaining that my SSD give up the ghost lol. We shall see I guess!

Last edited:

steaky360

Yeah the hyper x should be good for about 8 years anyway on average so should be around long after the laptop is obsolete. See http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/storage/hdd/29671-kingston-hyperx-3k-240gb?showall=&start=13
If your after pure speed go for the hyper x. If you write a lot of data ie downloading go for the intel.

8 years if you write ~ 10Gb per day to the SSD - I doubt very much the average user would do that... Most people tend to have a secondary drive which is used as a storage drive :)

For the average user of an SSD it'll probably last (as you say) far longer than the other components :)

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
I would hope the SSD would last 5 years or more If I chose the Hyper-X 3k SSD. I would store Windows 7 OS, and all my music software programs, OR, maybe a few games. Then im going to have a 2nd 500GB Caviar Black for anything else that needs storing. I already have a Seagate 320GB which i store mostly my whole music collection on and movies.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I wouldnt even think about ssd lifespan, much more important things to worry about.....like dayz standalone for example.... and the new spartacus series in january.... :) oh n what ever it is you do in real life....

I'd go for a 120gb ssd, for OS, anti virus, and maybe your favorite game. (remember to install steam and origin to your hard drive)

also dont put ya music, movies and pics on ya ssd, its just a waste of space. I have mine on a caviar green, and see absolutely no loss in performance (speed wise) So any hard drive will be fine for ALL your other stuff.

oh if you us MS office, put it on ya hard drive cause its pretty big, or at least mine is.

to be honest, 90gb drive would be more than big enough. And 60gb is fine for your OS too.

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Ah, ima just go for the 120GB HyperX SSD 3k. Nah I wont put my Music collection on it, like all my albums, they will just go on the Caviar Black or Seagate Portable HDD. But I mite put on Music Programs and VST's (Virtual instruments) on the SSD as it mite load them much quicker.

& Steam (--__--) Ive got all that malarky yet to come. I hear so many bad things about Steam :D But it seems like you have to join in order to play all the good games. Im gona buy very single game Bran New, like always, kz ive read that if you buy a used / 2d hand game from say amazon for example and its a Steam Game it will say the Account is already used up for this game. (something annoying like that) :D lol

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I wouldnt even think about ssd lifespan, much more important things to worry about.....like dayz standalone for example.... and the new spartacus series in january.... oh n what ever it is you do in real life....
or getting a coolermaster keyboard with blue switches :)

I had the kingston SSD for a few weeks before I replace it with the intel 520 because because I wanted to go from 120gb to 240gb. For gaming and other applications I use I did not notice any difference between those in terms of speed, I'd just go with the cheapest of those 2. The difference in speed is probably only going to be noticeable if you are running benchmarks.