SSD Corrupted by Nvidia Drivers

stecoy

Hi everyone,

Last night I was updating the Nvidia drivers on my laptop to the most recent version, 310.90. About half-way through the update I got a bluescreen and the laptop would no longer boot, giving a 0x00000f error. Any attempts I made to recover data failed, including trying to run repairs from the Windows 7 disk (it couldn't detect any installed versions of Windows), plugging it into another computer showed the partition to be unformatted, and running a scan on the disk showed error after error, with chkdsk unable to fix them.

After giving up on that (I only had the OS and programs on the SSD, so in the interest of time I felt reinstalling would be faster than spending more time on data-recovery), I reinstalled Windows and installed other drivers without a hitch. The Nvidia drivers seemed to install ok this time, but I got another blue screen as I rebooted following the installation, and the same thing happened.

After a second reinstall, I installed an older version of Nvidia drivers (310.70) and it's been running fine since.

I'm sceptical that an error installing the drivers alone could corrupt an entire disk, but it seems too coincidental that the same error occurred only after the same driver installation. If it is caused by them, it's quite a serious problem. I'm tempted to make a backup image of the hard drive, and then try the new drivers again to see if the same issue happens, but I won't have the time to for another week or so.

My laptop is an Optimus III (Clevo W150HRM) with 8GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 555M graphics with Optimus, an i7 2670QM processor, an 80GB Kingston SSD and a 500GB HD. Is it likely that it's some unique case based on my hardware? Or is it more likely the result of a faulty SSD, and that the graphics drivers were just coincidental with the issue? Has anybody else with the same or similar hardware had the issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Everon

Enthusiast
Seems odd that the gfx driver would cause the SSD to fail in honesty, seems like something else is going on at the same time to cause the failure.

I am using a desktop PC with an SSD for my OS (win8 pro64) and I have no issues with the newest 310.90. Maybe take a look on the GeForce forums here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/ to see if anyone else is having these issues.

Last edited:

paul1224

There are a range of known issues with the new Nvidia drivers for 310.90.

There are alot of complaints of PC's failing to cold boot after being switched off after the install, PC's blue screening, etc. I'm not sure if your issue has occurred with anyone else but take a look at the Nvidia forums above as posted by Everon and there are issues.

Me personally I'm not updating yet until I feel confident that they have sorted out the bugs.

stecoy

Everon, I agree that it seems odd for the drivers to cause SSD problems.

Paul, I'll take a look at the forums and see if others are having similar problems. Hopefully it's just a drivers issue and not something more serious.