SSD + HD or Raid 0 HD Solution??

Hi all,

For the last 10 years i have been a PC gamer, most built myself but I need a more mobile gaming platform now, I'm trying to decide on my data storage solution and just wanted to see what you guys think about the best approach
So let's get started by with my requirements...

I am looking at a Vortex 17" for 1st and most importantly gaming and maybe a little software development, here is my 3 builds storage solutions

Optimal solution SSD
Is to have a large SSD drive (480GB INTEL® 520 SSD) but the prices are just too high at the moment

Small SSD + Large HDD
I was thinking of the 90GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD mainly OS bootup time and maybe some most played games and have a larger 2nd drive (750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK) for media and any other games / development tools but I can see lots of games piling up on the small SSD and find myself using the HDD to install games.

Raid 0
2 x 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK on raid 0
This is my standard setup that I have used for years and has served me very well but the last 2 build I said to myself I would go SSD next time and as this is a laptop the need for a SSD is further justified for boot time / power consumption / noise reduction.

Any opinions on this would be great...

EDIT
Also I was looking at the SSD Cache option today ( funny.. never noticed it before is it new?) and was wondering if it is possible to run a raid 0(as above) + the SSD cache?
is running a SSD cache going to be much of an improvement to a raid 0 setup that I'm used to?

Last edited: