SSD help please :P?

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Hey I was curious to find out how the SSD's work please. I wanted to get 2 1TB Cavier green hardrives for storage with 1 of them as a backup for the other 1TB hardrive. But the main question is how would it work with everything installed onto the storage 1TB hardrives and the SSD's loading gameing OS etc please:confused:.

Gishank

Bright Spark
An SSD is basically like a jumbo flash drive (USB Stick), though only programs/games that are installed on the SSD will benefit and load quicker. As the technology is fairly new still they're not very large in size and are very pricey. I would honestly just recommend getting a the 64MB Cache'd Cavier Green drives and leaving the SSD out of the picture.

Reactions: PCS

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
SSD's look and work just like a standard hard drive, however they're much faster because they use a type of memory called NAND flash, as opposed to a hard drive that is basically a spinning disc (in easy terms). Because they're new, the technology is expensive at the moment but the benefits are very high - they will make your computer run ultra fast and boot up quicker.

A lot of people don't realise that their hard drive can be a bottleneck and are happy to spend hundreds of pounds on a fast processor, but there comes a point where the CPU can't decrease the load up time any further, and an SSD would solve this.

The idea is to order an SSD and install your operating system & programs on this drive, and store all your pictures/music/videos on a second (standard) drive. This way your programs and operating system will load ultra fast!

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
So I would have to instal my OS, all my basic programs and ontop of that all of my games onto the SSD drive gotta admit there isent a great deal of room for them and it's so expsensive I can only stretch to around intel 160GB SSD hardrive.

Sleinous

Author Level
Tysuro, wait for the 160GB Gen 3 Intel SSD - they will cost around the same as the current 80GB meaning you could buy 2x 160GBs = 320GB, or even just one 320GB, and store everything :) Gen 3 will be faster too on its 25nm manufacturing process

Sleinous

Author Level
There will also be a 600GB one as a Mainstream, the 80GB will move into the value range along with the 40GB. Im gonna be buying a 160GB myself.

Sleinous

Author Level
Not as of yet im afraid, probably in teh order of £300/£350 i'd say possibly more depending on the demand for NAND chips in the upcoming months.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Not as of yet im afraid, probably in teh order of £300/£350 i'd say possibly more depending on the demand for NAND chips in the upcoming months.

Ooh that's not too bad, I'd pay up to £400.00 so hopefully it'll be within that price range.