SSD Myth true?

Teaz

Godlike
I dont know if any of you came across this myth or hoax or not but i recently came across that someone said doing an anti virus scan on the ssd with any AV like avira, avg etc is bad for its health?
sounds too nonsense to be true to me but any clarification would be good lol.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It probably comes from the fact that SSD's have a limited volume of data that they can write in their lifespan. I think it only applies to write volume and not read volume so i can't see why doing a virus scan would do anything to harm it.

Im no expert but that just my thought on it i could be wrong. If i am im sure someone will be along to correct it in a moment or two.

Tom DWC

It is true that SSDs have limited reads/writes which is why methods such as defragmentation should be disabled. They are of no benefit to an SSD anyway.

I would still run an antiviral check on the SSD. Select a quick rather than full scan unless there is a known infection (the majority of the time viruses infect pre-existing Windows archives and not custom folders) and schedule it no more often than every week or month, but update daily.

That should be optimal for a solid state drive.

Teaz

Godlike
thanks gorman. Hope that is true if you say its just reading and not write. Might have to ask in person by asking directly at the ocz website lol

there is something else i wanted to double check an clarify. I was told that putting the system to Sleep+hibernation mode is a bad thing for the ssd aswel? would that be true? find that quite a weird hoax :wacko: if it is true would that mean its better off in screen saver mode :confused:

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
sleep mode causes what some would deem wasted writes as its dumping a lot of info to the drive when it sleeps. Its all down to the limited writes on the drive still.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
The biggest writing culprit is 'swap'. On my Netbook, I have installed the system with no swap sector (this is on Ubuntu), I think with Windows (I'm not up to speed here) it is possible to set the memory handler not to use a swapfile at all. This was easy in older versions of Windows that I used. If there is plenty of ram, this does not slow things down much, but could put years on the life of an SSD.

LFFPicard

Godlike
This is the pagefile in windows.
You can simply create the page file or move it to your second drive.

I am not to worried looking at the specs of the Intel one I have, I will be upgrading before it dies or write life failure.