SSD suggestion

forbiddenloli

Ok, so I've decided on the optimus III with a 750GB 7200rpm drive as the data drive
but i want to have a SSD as the boot drive

Either PCS or myself could install it so I'm just wanting a suggestion for a good SSD

So far I know the vertex 4 and samsung 830 are good choices but does anyone know any others (I'm only going to be getting the 120/128 GB version of the preferred drive)

hope someone could help (and I believe this thread is in the right section?)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
they are pretty much the same to be honest. I'd go for this, mainly because pcs will install it for you, if required you can use their tech support and you will also be covered by their warranty.

Agree with Tom.

forbiddenloli

installing it isn't a problem nor is the warranty - I'm wanting raw performance/reliability
and as far as I know all the PCS SSDs use sandforce controllers which have a history of being buggy

keynes

Multiverse Poster
installing it isn't a problem nor is the warranty - I'm wanting raw performance/reliability
and as far as I know all the PCS SSDs use sandforce controllers which have a history of being buggy

I have the 520 and 330 and so far I have not experienced any issues. The 520 Intel SSD comes with 5 years warranty and I think the Samsung 830 comes with only 3 years warranty.

forbiddenloli

I have the 520 and 330 and so far I have not experienced any issues. The 520 Intel SSD comes with 5 years warranty and I think the Samsung 830 comes with only 3 years warranty.

Which one performs better though? thats what I'm wanting to know

oh and just to say to stop the repeating the same things - I won't be getting an SSD from PCS, I may send them an SSD but I won't be buying it, hence the reason I opened this thread

Last edited:

forbiddenloli

People here are only trying to help you,if that's not good enough why not google the question and find out for yourself.

I know but I'm not worrying about who installs the SSD or about warrenties, I'm wanting a good SSD and was asking for an opinion not a fact or warranty lengths etc

I could google but as any dedicated pc user can tell you, benchmarks can only give half the story - the other half is from personal experience since SSDs develop past the initial benchmark and get better(most of the time)

I'm not meaning to be ungrateful or anything - I have already contacted PCS about installing my own ssd and they are willing to install it if I wish so I am fixed on this (I will be getting the SSD before I purchase the laptop in either case, hence the no PCS SSD)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I could google but as any good pc user can tell you, benchmarks written on paper can only give half the story - the other half is from personal experience
Looking at benchmarks and reviews some sites have the 520 as a better choice others the 830. I think you will find it difficult to see any difference between those 2 SSDs unless you are running benchmarks, for peace of mind I'll choose the one with the longest warranty available.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I edited my post since you quoted - I'm getting the SSD before the laptop for personal reasons

I was just trying to offer a comparison between the intel 520 and the samsung 830, I understand you want to purchase the SSD from a different retailer.

forbiddenloli

I was just trying to offer a comparison between the intel 520 and the samsung 830, I understand you want to purchase the SSD from a different retailer.

Parents are buying the SSD as a present so its not really about retailer
and I wont be getting an intel drive since the sandforce controller is very buggy based on videos ive seen on youtube (posted in the last month) - Excerpt from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SandForce#Issues
A marvel or any other controller based drive fine but not sandforce

Last edited:

Everon

Enthusiast
I did some reading up and the overall response i found was that for balance (speed vs reliability) the Crucial drives came out best. Thinking of buying one of these in the next month:

Can anyone give a yay or nay on that drive, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

forbiddenloli

hmmm so the choices are now either realssd m4, vertex 4 or samsung 830, i've heard good things about m4s reliability, i'll look into it

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think the fastest ssd at the moment is the OCZ vertex 4.

But honestly, you wont see much of a difference between the slightly faster ssd's unless you had two of the exact same systems with different ssds next to each other.

i'd look at, kingston hyper x k's, intel's, corsairs, ocz,

Dexterous

I'd go Samsung 830 ssd, it's built all in house, the firmware, the controller etc.

They are renowned for their reliability, performance and are used by almost every OEM.

I am buying the Samsung 830 ssd this Friday.

This ssd is also very cheap priced at £79.09, 128GB.

Everon

Enthusiast
Decided to take a look at the Samsung 128gb drives and found these three, but what is the difference and which is best?

Please stop posting competitor links.

Last edited by a moderator: