Star Citizen.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Has anyone here played/playing this game.
Is it worth a try or give it a wide birth. Heard alot of varying opinions from its the "greatest gaming experience ever nothing comes close" to the "don't waste your time its a con"

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Has anyone here played/playing this game.
Is it worth a try or give it a wide birth. Heard alot of varying opinions from its the "greatest gaming experience ever nothing comes close" to the "don't waste your time its a con"
I've heard amazing things, BUT it's still in Alpha so it's buggy as hell and has a long way to go before it's ready for primetime.

It's been in developement for YEARS and has even had a huge fundraiser to generate revenue to continue development, while I have no doubt it's got great potential, you have to pay to play the alpha (which is criminal in my eyes) and considering how long it's already been in development to reach this alpha stage, I just can't see it ever getting to a gold completion level.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Thank you for your response. I've watched alot of yt videos following this game. Especialy the YouTuber cobra. The visuals in this game are just amazing.
Just wasn't sure if it was worth buying in to. I partly agree with not paying when its not even finished. But then I think well look at games like Athem, fallout 76 and division 2 that released claiming to be the finished product.

But yeah think might have to give it a miss for now until they can atleast to some conclusion when this is/if its going to release some time soon in the near future.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just wasn't sure if it was worth buying in to. I partly agree with not paying when its not even finished. But then I think well look at games like Athem, fallout 76 and division 2 that released claiming to be the finished product.
Yeah, developers have become incredibly cheeky in the last 10 years or so releasing unfinished products as general releases.

But bear in mind, the stages it goes are firstly Alpha, that's the absolute basic level where normally it wouldn't even be in the public domain. The it's Beta which is normally where they'd invite a group of the public privately and give them sole access to play, the point of this is to report bugs rather than actually have fun. Then it's a Gold release which hits the market.

So this is still in ALPHA, it's right at the beginning and development started in 2011! They said it would be ready for a full Gold release by 2014! And it's still in alpha and the crowdfunding money they raised has got to be almost dried out by now almost 10 years later...

I just can't see it ever being completed.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Yeah, developers have become incredibly cheeky in the last 10 years or so releasing unfinished products as general releases.

But bear in mind, the stages it goes are firstly Alpha, that's the absolute basic level where normally it wouldn't even be in the public domain. The it's Beta which is normally where they'd invite a group of the public privately and give them sole access to play, the point of this is to report bugs rather than actually have fun. Then it's a Gold release which hits the market.

So this is still in ALPHA, it's right at the beginning and development started in 2011! They said it would be ready for a full Gold release by 2014! And it's still in alpha and the crowdfunding money they raised has got to be almost dried out by now almost 10 years later...

I just can't see it ever being completed.
Again thanks for the info.

stegor

Bright Spark
What would worry me about the potential for it ever getting finished is that they recently said they were to release timescales and plans for a roadmap. Yes, that's right, a roadmap for their roadmap!!!🤣

Gavras

Master Poster
What am I missing?

I mean that as a genuine question. What am I missing out on not playing it? Or could I get the same experience playing any other game.
Elite Dangerous are releasing Odyssey early 2021.

Elite is definitely worth getting as a Space Sim, it’s huge, combat, mining, trading, passenger ferry, with missions including these various types.

small ships, stealthy ships, passenger ’liners’ big military ships, weapons lasers, cannons, missiles, counter measures.

Bounties, bounty hunting, pirates, War.

solo play in open (interact with other players - good bad) or in private (AI only).

team playing in open or make your own Team area against AI.

oh and it’s been released a few years now with regular updates, active community, seasonal updates are often free (although I think Odyssey may be at a cost).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Elite Dangerous are releasing Odyssey early 2021.

Elite is definitely worth getting as a Space Sim, it’s huge, combat, mining, trading, passenger ferry, with missions including these various types.

small ships, stealthy ships, passenger ’liners’ big military ships, weapons lasers, cannons, missiles, counter measures.

Bounties, bounty hunting, pirates, War.

solo play in open (interact with other players - good bad) or in private (AI only).

team playing in open or make your own Team area against AI.

oh and it’s been released a few years now with regular updates, active community, seasonal updates are often free (although I think Odyssey may be at a cost).
It’s also in VR which is quite special.

robin h 25

What am I missing?

I mean that as a genuine question. What am I missing out on not playing it? Or could I get the same experience playing any other game.
You can play Star Citizen for free every now and then for a week or two, during in game events,

The next event should be toward the end of November, The Intergalactic Aerospace Expo, which will offer discounts on ships/ship packages for the game over a two week period but they also offer Free Fly, where all you need to do, is to have/create a Star Citizen account with out having to spend anything to be able to play the game for free for two weeks,

If you get to play in the Free Fly and like the game and want to continue to play, buying a starter ship package is the cheapest way to get into Star Citizen, as I said, the ship packages will be even cheaper during certain events like the upcoming Expo event at around the end of November.

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an account and a fair hanger of ships but its been a looong loong time since I properly played.

Due to the changing flight model I've been waiting for it to settle down a bit before I climb back into the cockpit.

D

Deleted member 41971

id call that significant money

"As per the game's official website, funding goals unlock different additions to the game. For example, once $3 million had been raised, players got cockpit decorations for their spaceships - "amaze your friends with bobbleheads, photographs, dinosaurs, fuzzy dice, nose art, posters and many more cool options!" That is some extremely expensive tat, if you ask me",

says it all really