"Star war" noises from speakers - only when hard drive is operating

Big John

Hi,

I bought my PC from PCS back in 2009, Intel core i7 with the Asus P6T MoBo and very pleased with the spec and speed as I use it for home video production. I have two HD's installed, 250gb 1st drive and 1.5tb 2nd drive, running win 7 pro.

As I do not use it everyday, just for video editing, I recently became aware that some strange noises were coming from the speakers built into the HD monitor which sounded like Star Wars gun shooting. I have tracked it down to every time the hard drive makes a move or just moving the mouse around the screen the noise comes out of the speakers. Even if I disable the sound card the noise can still be heard. If I disconnect the lead to the speakers then it stops.

It seems to picking up interference from the hard drive?????????

If I connect the audio output to a pair of standard PC stand alone speakers the noise is greatly reduced but if the volume is turned up you can still hear the noise.

I have gone on Google and there are many reports of the same problem with numerous makes of PC.

Has any one else come across this and if so how did you correct it?

Many thanks.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
So apparently the force is even awakening in people's hardware now!

Damn Disney have gotten sneaky with their suggestive advertising :D

(Does sound rather odd that, and actually quite annoying!)

Big John

So apparently the force is even awakening in people's hardware now!

Damn Disney have gotten sneaky with their suggestive advertising :D

(Does sound rather odd that, and actually quite annoying!)

Very annoying. But as I said if I use the stand alone speakers it is not as noticeable but I would like to know why it does it.

My Dell pc running xp pro does not do it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you Google "noise when moving mouse" you'll find that (sadly) it's not that uncommon. It appears to be relating to the way the audio and the rest of the kit is grounded (earthed). The Google search will identify a ton of things you can try, some of which worked for some people and not others. If none of that works I'd give PCS a call.

Big John

Hello ubuysa,

That's what I found when I Googled. There was not one exact answer. I will contact technical direct. May thanks for reply.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I found the answer eventually:-

“click on the sound icon in the taskbar -> Playback Devices -> Speakers (Properties) -> Levels -> Mute the PC Beep.”
All the Star Wars sounds have gone.

That's a new one on me, but now I won't forget it. Well done and +rep! :)

Warbloke

Bronze Level Poster
As soon as I read the title of this post... I was like... ' I have a bad feeling about this '
I was hoping it was going to be the Imperial march music or something :(

... this is not the forum you are looking for... *waves hand