Starfield

robin h 25

I'm looking forward to this game even more now, though a little disappointed that it got delayed until 2023,

But as long as...
todd-howard-it-just-works.gif
when released, i'll be happy,

I'm getting some mixed vibes of Mass Effect / The Outer Worlds / Star Citizen / No Man Sky and a tiny pinch of Kerbal Space Program with the ship customization.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
maybe wrong but I couldn't find a specific thread related to starfield, as this game is shaping up to be a blockbuster and a sort after game, thought it maybe worth putting any and all info related to the game in this thread

robin h 25

My Starfield thread says 'hello' 👋, It's been around for over a year...

Starfield is one of my most anticipated games of the year,
I'll be getting it on Xbox Gamepass PC, As i have an Xbox Ultimate subscription,

I would hate to want to play this on consoles, As i've heard that the game is locked to 30fps on consoles,

September can't come soon enough, I have another one my most anticipated games also out in September, Payday 3.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

I'll be getting it on Xbox Gamepass PC, As i have an Xbox Ultimate subscription,

I would hate to want to play this on consoles, As i've heard that the game is locked to 30fps on consoles,

September can't come soon enough, I have another one my most anticipated games also out in September, Payday 3.

i do apologise, i looked through search but for some reason couldn't find it, would @SpyderTracks be able to merge this one with the original @robin h 25 one?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

100%. The complexity of this game, aside from the capped framerate would make it an incredibly restricted experience on console.

robin h 25

I was so tempted to buy this edition of Starfield...
https://www.game.co.uk/en/starfield-constellation-edition-2914144

I had 2 reasons not to,
1. Already having an Xbox Ultimate Subscription, The game will be available on Xbox Gamepass and Xbox Gamepass PC day one.

2. Many years ago, I bought the collector's edition of Tom Clancy's The Division, which also came with a custom designed watch, downside is the watch did not fit on my wrist when i got it, so i had second thoughts about buying the Starfield collector's edition just for that nice looking custom watch...
the division collectors edition box.jpg

the division collectors edition.jpg

thedivision collectors edition watch.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think this is going to be one of the 0.1% of games that I buy on pre order, I'm really looking forward to this.

Official release date for everyone is September 6th, but I fully expect that will be pushed back by a month or so.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
and dont forget the day one patches,

followed by 2 more patches

and then a further 5

followed by another 2

and 1 more
A game of this size and complexity, it's going to be a buggy mess on arrival, I don't doubt it for one second.

They original release date was November 11th 2022, they've obviously had some major hurdles to overcome to have to delay it as long as they have, more than just texture mapping or something like that, it must have been something fundamental and I'm guessing a major flaw in the procedural generation algorythms.

I don't blame them for one second having to delay it, I'd much rather they did that and get something good to go.

If this pans out it will be their bread and butter for 20 years given their history with major online platforms.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I don't blame them for one second having to delay it, I'd much rather they did that and get something good to go.

this is what bugs me, when devs rely far too much on patches rather than taking their time and releasing something a bit more polished, remember the olden days where you bought a game on disc and this is what you got, yes there were problems but at least the game had more of a chance to work.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
this is what bugs me, when devs rely far too much on patches rather than taking their time and releasing something a bit more polished, remember the olden days where you bought a game on disc and this is what you got, yes there were problems but at least the game had more of a chance to work.
They couldn't just patch it in the old days, to do so would mean distributing thousands of CD's to distribution sites, or peoples homes, would have cost an enourmous amount, so they just HAD to be sure it was ready for full release.

And remember then also, they didn't have open Beta's with hundreds of thousands of people testing the game, or pre-releasing it in an Alpha stage, they'd have a team of beta testers within the company who'd do their best to highlight the bugs before release who would play it for hours and hours walking around every single section of the map, having to walk into every bit of wall to see if there was a weak point that would let them walk through etc etc etc.

And I'd argue storylines were far far richer back in the old days, content wasn't as polished, but the stories were so strong, that your imagination made the experience far more immersive generally.

I'm not dissing on modern games, I'm a huge fan of a lot of series, but I do miss some of the real classics, and I don't think any modern titles have ever outdone the strength of those.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
And I'd argue storylines were far far richer back in the old days, content wasn't as polished, but the stories were so strong, that your imagination made the experience far more immersive generally.

I remember watching a series with James May talking about old toys, he said that with say a scalextric you had to use your imagination, he then compared it to maybe a PS1/PS2 F1 game and he said everything's provided for you, track, cars, environment, things like that.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think this is going to be one of the 0.1% of games that I buy on pre order, I'm really looking forward to this.

Official release date for everyone is September 6th, but I fully expect that will be pushed back by a month or so.
It's Bethesda mate there's going to be a fairly high chance it'll not work on release or be plagued with issues. You'd be doing yourself no favours planning to pre-order and play on launch day.

stegor

Bright Spark
New content on the Bethesda website. There won't be any more delays now they've started the hype train.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster