Start up issues

hopkins

Hi

Recently my laptop has been behaving in a bit of a worrying way. Sometimes when I switch it on, it whirrs as if starting up and then clicks back off again after a few seconds or less.

Other times it switches on no problem. I thought this could be due to the battery being low when attempting to switch on, but I found that not to be the case this morning when the problem occurred after being left charging since the battery ran out the previous evening.

Any solutions to this problem? I don't want to do an RMA really as I've already done two and it's a right hassle going without it.

The model is an UltraNote II with a 3rd gen i5 processor, 4gb Samsung RAM, 500gb HDD @ 7200rpm. I ordered it in Oct/Nov 2013 and have the silver warranty.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Just had a non PCS laptop die with these exact symptoms. It was a slow death but eventually the problem got worse and worse until it just would not start at all. I was never able to find a solution to it but you could try re seating the RAM, and any other components connected to the motherboard. I suspect mine was a motherboard problem and it wasn't worth the hassle of finding out so I just binned it (shot it with a crossbow actually but that's a different story :))

I would whip off the bottom cover, check all the components are seated correctly, so thast probably the RAM, HDD and any other pci cards. if that fails then I can only recommend an RMA

hopkins

Oh dear, that doesn't bode too well. Thank you for the advice, I will try that!

Shooting a laptop with a crossbow sounds like fun.