Steam Guard and Google Auth with new provider

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm switching to a new mobile provider. I'm getting a new SIM, which has a new number, but I'm getting my current number ported across. It will be used in the same handset.

The internet seems full of info for what happens if you lose your handset or change your number, but not for my scenario.

Anyone know?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm switching to a new mobile provider. I'm getting a new SIM, which has a new number, but I'm getting my current number ported across. It will be used in the same handset.

The internet seems full of info for what happens if you lose your handset or change your number, but not for my scenario.

Anyone know?

I can’t give the best way of doing it, but I had a similar situation November last year.

I ended up turning off 2fa on my accounts until the port was finished, then manually readded the accounts from scratch.

In my case, a restore of a backup (to another phone) was supposed to transfer the keys intact but it didn’t work.

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Ohh, I can help with this.

I did this a while back. when i swapped providers by porting my number there was a delay of a day or so. have you gotten the authorization code from the current provider? I put in a new sim from ID and it had a new number until I ported my existing number. kept all my contact but recently found I had to reset my voice mail.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster

I got my new sim card ages ago and google auth and steam guard have both kept working fine.

I opened a ticket with steam and they said it would be fine, which it turned out to be.