Steam....how does it work??

PokerFace

Banned
Thanks to Drunken Monkey's tip in his "PC Games Deals!!!" thread, I've just bought the "Brothers in Arms" pack. It's my first purchase on Steam, so can one of you guys now explain how Steam works? :stupid:

I thought I would buy the game and then access my Steam account to play the game, but after my purchase it gave me the option to DL the games. I selected one of the games (Road to Hill 30) and the DL began.

So, just a few questions:

1) Is the complete game DL'd to my pc and therefore I can play the game in single player mode without being connected to Steam?

2) Is it only necessary to connect through Steam if I wanted to play multi-player games (if so, is it just a case of joining a particular "community")?

3) I see that the game is DL'ing to the 'C' drive of my partioned 1TB HDD. As I have this HDD partioned as 100/900, I really wanted games etc to go on the larger partition ('D' drive). I was planning to leave 'C' just for OS and a few programs. I assume that this is because I must have DL'd Steam to the 'C' partition.

Would the only way to correct this be to uninstall the game and Steam and re-download Steam to the 'D' partition? (Is that even an option, or does Steam default download to 'C' drive?).

4) A record of all games I purchase will be permanently stored in the Steam library, so I can log in to Steam and DL them anytime, and as many times as I want....is that correct? If this is correct, what's to stop me me (or anyone else) logging on to a friends pc and DL'ing the same game from the library onto their pc also?

That's it for now (more Q's may follow :))

Thanks for any replies.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
1) You don't have to be connected to the internet to play your games, but you'll still have to log into steam in offline mode
What is Offline Mode?
Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.
2)You'll only have to be connected online through steam if you want to play multiplayer games, and games that require a permanent online connection because of ******** DRM like the latest prince of persia title. Most you can play in offline mode. And the communities are just easy ways to keep in touch with people and ....
The Steam Community is comprised of people who play all sorts of PC and Mac games.
Now it's easy to find your friends online, organize groups, join chats, host matches and more.
Best of all, it's free.
...that too

More here What is the steam community

3) I suggest you wait for the download to finish, back up the game folder, and then reinstall steam onto the D drive partition, then you can drag your game folder back, load up steam and it will sync it, making it playable again Official steam guide on this if you want more info

4) Yeah there yours to download as many times as you like and to keep forever, but you can only access the games if you log in to an account that owns them, meaning if your friend hasn't purchased them on their own unique account they cant play them, even if the game is installed on their pc More about this here Steam Account Use

Last edited:

PokerFace

Banned
Thanks DM for the advice and great links. +rep mate!

DED....I'll give it a go, but I think I'll try DM's advice first ;)