Steam on NAS

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Anyone have any experience with running Steam games through a NAS, thinking about getting one so I can merge my storage of my 2 PCs and running all the games through the NAS over the network to my PCs and laptop. Wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it and any findings on setup and performance? I know that media files won't be an issue but I'm concerned about my games and some programs that I'd like to put on there too like Visual Studio and Unreal which take up huge amounts of space.

Thanks

jerpers

Master
hmmm, I have a WD cloud NAS and only really used it for streaming music and backing up photos. I never needed to map it as a drive before but now I have done for audioshield vr I'll give it a go if I get time this weekend and let you know.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
hmmm, I have a WD cloud NAS and only really used it for streaming music and backing up photos. I never needed to map it as a drive before but now I have done for audioshield vr I'll give it a go if I get time this weekend and let you know.

jerpers

Master
So in theory it works but for me it was pretty unusable. I tried with Team fortress 2. Installation was fine started to load fine, then load for longer, then longer, It was about 30mins to get to the option screen. To get to training, it took another 40mins of loading before I could play. Gameplay was fine once loaded but games with lots to load would be unbearable. It could be the WD setup isn't the quickest, my wireless speed could be an issue (I use a cheap trendnet USB dongle and talk talk router.) It may be better with homeplugs (I don't have any to test I'm afraid) or with a proper NAS setup. The WD suits my usage fine - music streaming to SONOS and backing up photos from my kids phones. Hopefully someone with a 'proper' NAS setup can help further.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
So in theory it works but for me it was pretty unusable. I tried with Team fortress 2. Installation was fine started to load fine, then load for longer, then longer, It was about 30mins to get to the option screen. To get to training, it took another 40mins of loading before I could play. Gameplay was fine once loaded but games with lots to load would be unbearable. It could be the WD setup isn't the quickest, my wireless speed could be an issue (I use a cheap trendnet USB dongle and talk talk router.) It may be better with homeplugs (I don't have any to test I'm afraid) or with a proper NAS setup. The WD suits my usage fine - music streaming to SONOS and backing up photos from my kids phones. Hopefully someone with a 'proper' NAS setup can help further.

Thanks for your help. From what I'd read wireless was pretty much a no-go, can't believe it was that bad though. I'm guessing you are only using a single drive right? I bet having multiple in RAID would help. I have 2 drives that I could potentially use and may pick up another for parity in a RAID setup.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Great thank you. I'm thinking I may just build a system of old parts and use that so that I can run the NAS and some other stuff I want always running. I'd use a Raspberry Pi if it had some SATA ports on it.