Storage HDD`s driving me mad

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Ok i`ve done my best to try solve this issue myself but i`m getting nowhere fast, i have my ssd with my os on and some programs, my cavier black with games, a cavier blue with my films on and two 160Gb seagate drives with music on.

These 2 seagate drives are driving me potty, i dont know if they did it before but im not using them at all and no programs are but they run all the time and they sound horrid. I do use them from time to time to listen to music so i dont want to disable the sata or unplug them.

Should they be running all the time?

Is there any way to use some sort of power save option so they only run when i want them too?

Do i just bite the bullet and by a Cav green and bin the buggers?

My cav black and blue dont make a peep as im writing this but the segates sound like someone grinding there teeth next to me.....

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
Well you can cheak the status of the drives by going on the seagate website the support n then download the program the run it, it will cheak to see if there are any bad sectors and load of other thing too...

Iv also got a caviar green 2tb when I use to back up the pc's on and soo far had no problem with it, yeh there not the fastest hdd around and they do power Down when not in use so if it only for music and you don't listen to it much ect it worth getting but if you don't fancy a caviar green get another caviar blue

Karnor00

Bright Spark
You don't have anything like Windows Indexing running do you? In my experience that tends to thrash hard drives for little benefit so I usually switch it off.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
noo bad sectors, WiS is off, there has to be a program getting to them somewhere so ive disabled them for now and ty vanthus its empty now