Storage Memory Considerations

debiruman665

Enthusiast
My current setup

m.2 : 128GB cheapest m.2 memory to hold the OS
m2. : empty

SATA1: 500GB Seagate SSHD that I repurposed from my old Optimus IV
SATA2: 500GB EVO SSD

Installing newer games I found myself quickly running out of space on the EVO SSD. I installed older games and general programs onto the SSHD and I enabled compression on the disk to get more out of the disk since I have an i9 and reasoned the compression/decompression would be a decent trade-off for squeezing more into this disk.

I cant decide if I should fill the m.2 with expensive ssd, or if I should swap out the SSHD and replace it with a 2TB drive and use the remaining m.2 to add optane memory caching.

Anyone got anything to throw on the fire?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Whatever plan you settle on, I'd recommend it's one that involves putting the OS on a faster drive than a probably quite slow SSD.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Whatever plan you settle on, I'd recommend it's one that involves putting the OS on a faster drive than a probably quite slow SSD.

Is this for boot times or any other reasons?

I'm happy with the current boot speed, i recently gave my the old optimus IV to my brother with a 5200rmp 2tb disk and it takes about 3 minutes to boot up. I deeply regret doing that to him hahahaha

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is this for boot times or any other reasons?
The operating system runs everything, so it's essential that the operating system's disk accesses (of which there are many) are as fast as is possible. If you don't do this you'll slow the operating system down, and that slows everything down. There is absolutely no point in having application data on a fast drive if the operating system, on a slower drive, takes forever to get the I/Os started!