Strange Freezing

VenatoS

So the issue I am having is quite strange. It began happening about a month ago and has been happening since.

After playing a game for an hour so, after closing it down the PC freezes - but I am able to move my mouse and operate in programs that are already open e.g Discord, but I am unable to open anything new, can't even ALT CTRL DEL to get to the task manager, or right click on taskbar to open it.
Also shutting down the PC by doing it through normal procedure -> Windows -> Shut down - Causes the PC to freeze and not shut down unless I force it with the physical button.

I have no idea what is causing this, I haven't added any new hardware or anything at all & this seems to happen nearly daily now forcing me to restart the PC by holding the power button.

- On another note, it would seem that the front 3 fans that the PC came with all spin at different speeds & the middle fan often makes a LOUD grinding noise and sometimes it goes away sometimes i have to open up the PC and move it about - not sure whats causing this.

Any help will be greatly appreciate.

Here are the specs:

Case CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics CardGeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ GAMING OC 8G
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

kam67

Enthusiast
Does it happen in more than one game?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the NVIDIA driver? When you do so click on the advanced tab and check the box marked clean install.

D

Deleted member 17413

Have you tried restarting explorer through task manager when it happens?
Ive had something in the past that seems similar from what youve said, restarting explorer was only a temp fix though. It was somehow related to the GPU and i suspect it was some sort of conflict with Win 10 and the GPU drivers (nividia). I think the GPU was glitching somehow and that then caused explorer to crash.

If i remember correctly, a complete reinstall of windows and using GPU drivers from before the issue started resolved/stopped it happening.
I did however upgrade machines a few months later so couldnt say if that was a proper fix or just lucky.

VenatoS

Does it happen in more than one game?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the NVIDIA driver? When you do so click on the advanced tab and check the box marked clean install.

At the moment, it seems to be mostly happening after playing "Valorant".

Have you tried restarting explorer through task manager when it happens?
Ive had something in the past that seems similar from what youve said, restarting explorer was only a temp fix though. It was somehow related to the GPU and i suspect it was some sort of conflict with Win 10 and the GPU drivers (nividia). I think the GPU was glitching somehow and that then caused explorer to crash.

If i remember correctly, a complete reinstall of windows and using GPU drivers from before the issue started resolved/stopped it happening.
I did however upgrade machines a few months later so couldnt say if that was a proper fix or just lucky.

As i have mentioned, once it freezes, I am unable to open anything else - especially ALT CTRL DEL

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

There's a whole reddit thread going on it with no fix I have seen as yet, but does seem to be related to anti cheat system

VenatoS

There's a whole reddit thread going on it with no fix I have seen as yet, but does seem to be related to anti cheat system

Thank God its nothing major then, just bad software! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

VenatoS

Turned out that I had 31 viruses. Including Trojan and a few miners.
Safe to say I'll be going back to Installing Kaspersky instead of relaying on Windows.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
MalwareBytes. Safe to say I don't trust Windows protecting itself!
Would you mind posting the Malwarebytes report? That sounds like a massive infection on the face of it but all antimalware scanners try to find everything they can that just might be classed as malware, because the number of detections is how they measure their effectiveness. It's not impossible that all those 'detections' are actually harmless. Most scanners will highlight a tracking cookie as malware....

VenatoS

Would you mind posting the Malwarebytes report? That sounds like a massive infection on the face of it but all antimalware scanners try to find everything they can that just might be classed as malware, because the number of detections is how they measure their effectiveness. It's not impossible that all those 'detections' are actually harmless. Most scanners will highlight a tracking cookie as malware....

Now that i have all of these items quarantined, the PC works back as it used to.
No more Freezing, the PC shutsdown properly, normal low CPU Usage. Everything is back to normal.

I'm attaching the screenshots of the report.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-15 191850.png
    Annotation 2020-07-15 191850.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Annotation 2020-07-15 191911.png
    Annotation 2020-07-15 191911.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Annotation 2020-07-15 191922.png
    Annotation 2020-07-15 191922.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 211

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Now that i have all of these items quarantined, the PC works back as it used to.
No more Freezing, the PC shutsdown properly, normal low CPU Usage. Everything is back to normal.

I'm attaching the screenshots of the report.
Have you checked that your Windows defender is actually running? To allow that many infections through something must be severely compromised. Is your windows up to date?

It's a bitcoin miner, they come included in various applications such as some torrent managers off the top of my head, plus quite a few browser addons, have you got any driver updaters, or any unusual free packages installed?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Whilst there are some common false positives there (utorrent for example) that is a mess. The backdoor entries and the trojan entries are most likely the result of installing some suspect software at some time. The registry keys are possibly the result of the trojan running.

I would not be happy just quarantining those entries, some of the are Windows system files and having them quarantined may affect the running of your system.

I would clean install Windows to be sure you have a stable system and don't install software unless you trust it 100%. :)

VenatoS

Okay I was wrong to blame windows. I think something turned off my Windows Auto-Updates. Also my Windows Security is completely blank.
A lot of stuff is still screwed up.

EDIT: Can't seem to get the PC to update. :|

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-15 195923.png
    Annotation 2020-07-15 195923.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

VenatoS

Any idea what i can do to force an update? The normal way is not working.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-15 200136.png
    Annotation 2020-07-15 200136.png
    197 KB · Views: 211