Strange laptop behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
I have a Acer Aspire 3810TZ laptop and for some unknown reason the mouse has stopped working (the mousepad is fine). I have tried FN+F6 and FN+F7 and FN+F9 but nothing happens. I have tried system restore but I can only seem to go back a day and nothing helps. Can anyone help please?

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
It's a wired mouse. I tried another usb wired mouse that I knew worked OK and that wouldn't work on the laptop either.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What's changed? Have there been any Windows updates, driver updates, software updates, etc.?

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Nothings changed except I got a warning about a possible bug infection when trying to download a movie which I ignored as the message wasn't from a recognised source and told me to contact them by 'phone on an 0800 number which I though was suspicious.

Rakk

The Awesome
Nothings changed except I got a warning about a possible bug infection when trying to download a movie which I ignored as the message wasn't from a recognised source and told me to contact them by 'phone on an 0800 number which I though was suspicious.

I'd make sure you run your virus checker and anti-malware software you have - it may not be the cause of your mouse issues but messages like that always make me very suspicious.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If it's a USB mouse does changing ports make any difference?

You could always try another OS and see whether the mouse works then. Download a Linix distro (Mint is a decent one, from https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=204) burn it to a DVD and then boot the DVD. You can run Linux Mint off the DVD for testing purposes, it makes no changes to your computer at all - unless you choose to install it of course. Your mouse should work ok in Linux Mint running off the DVD, if it doesn't I'd begin to suspect a hardware problem.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
My PC is fully protected against virus' etc. but lately it is behaving awkwardly. Firstly I am getting 'script error' messages, now I am getting constant messages that my Internet Explorer has stopped working and the PC seems generally slower than usual.
Any advice please?
thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No anti virus offers complete protection. I would recommend running malwarebytes full scan including rootkits.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
I used utorrent classic for downloading various programmes but the laptop I used died on me. I have been using my desktop but am only able to get 'xtorrents download manager'. This downloaded very slowly and is not at all suitable. Does anyone know how to get utorrent classic and bypass the more modern version which I believe is 'xtorrentsdownload manager'. When I try I immediately get the xtorrents site. Also I have tried using Control Panel to uninstall xtorrents manager but it is nowhere to be seen in the programme list there. Any ideas please?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If this is a PCS machine, are you sure your machine is not infected with something that's redirecting you to a fake site, as I get the proper uTorrent download (on both Windows and Mac) when I go to uTorrent.com

I've not installed it though, so don't know what the installer actually contains.

You could also try uninstalling it from the Apps & Features section of settings, instead of the old Control Panel method (which still works for some programs).

Win+X_Programs_and_Features.png

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for advice. With your help I have deleted xtorrent and hopefully everything will now be as it used to be.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for advice. With your help I have deleted xtorrent and hopefully everything will now be as it used to be.
It’s a big warning that your system may be infected. I’m guessing you’re downloading torrented stuff, be aware the risks of installing malware are far higher when doing this.

You really need to take some action and thoroughly scan your system from outside windows as it sounds like yours is compromised.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’ve merged a few of your threads as they’re on the same topic and we can see a clearer picture.

I think we can conclusively say that you have a compromised system and a clean install would be the best way forwards.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Also please note that since this is an Acer Aspire laptop and not a PCS build we are limited to providing software advice only I'm afraid.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
I am now getting some of my search results in a foreign language even when I stipulate the language should be English. I have tried amending this through
the control panel but it is still happening. It started about the time I had installed a free VPN but that has now been uninstalled. Would it have left something on the PC that keeps coming up with some Netherlands language and how can I get rid of it please?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am now getting some of my search results in a foreign language even when I stipulate the language should be English. I have tried amending this through
the control panel but it is still happening. It started about the time I had installed a free VPN but that has now been uninstalled. Would it have left something on the PC that keeps coming up with some Netherlands language and how can I get rid of it please?
As this isn't a PCS laptop I'm afraid we can't offer any further advice. It sounds like you have many viruses though given the history.

Status
Not open for further replies.