Strange, worrying error message

mdtexeira

I woke up my computer from sleep today to find a message telling me that Pbogram FIles had crashed. This seems likely to be a virus. I'm running a scan even as I post this, but I was wondering if someone could look at this report and tell me if it is indeed a virus and how much trouble my computer is in. The crash report seems to list a lot of drivers. This has me a little worried. Also, will my AV be able to detect potential changes in the modules listed? Please allay my worries, because as it stands, even if my AV comes up clean, I'm going to be worried.

Attachments

• Report.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 110

mdtexeira

Doing so now. It suggests that I disable Avast before installing, and I'm currently running a full system scan so it might take a little time before I can continue MWB installation.

Last edited:

mdtexeira

When scanning in Safe Mode, can I scan just the C drive, or do I need to scan the externals as well? My E drive is 2Tb, and it is taking a long time to scan it. I assume that the only files that wouldn't have been successfully scanned in normal operation are files on the C drive. Is this correct?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When scanning in Safe Mode, can I scan just the C drive, or do I need to scan the externals as well? My E drive is 2Tb, and it is taking a long time to scan it. I assume that the only files that wouldn't have been successfully scanned in normal operation are files on the C drive. Is this correct?

It depends what scan you're running, if you request just a standard scan, that will usually scan just certain folders on the c:/drive. But if you choose a manual scan, then you can specify which drives to include. This is in either safe mode or normal boot.

mdtexeira

I'm sorry...I wasn't clear in my communication. I know if it is possible to scan just one drive. I'm asking whether it would be desirable or sensible to scan only the C drive, or whether there would be a reason to scan the externals in Safe Mode (i.e. it is likely that Safe Mode was required to correctly scan non-system files).

mdtexeira

I made the mistake of not connecting my externals before Avast asked about doing a boot scan, so...my computer has been scanning until now. It found several things and fixed them (I think), though I had no way to keep up with the program. There was at least one archive which it could not quarantine, delete or fix, so I had to ignore that one. That being said, it was something on my external which I can manually delete later. I'm running MWB right now. Is it fair to assume that the boot scan is as good or better than a safe mode scan would be?

My initial scan with WMB came up clean, as did a second scan including checks for root kits.

Can I rest easy now or is there more to do?

mdtexeira

Ok, I ran MWB in safe mode, but Avast 5 doesn't function in safe mode. The scan I did do on the internal drive in the boot scan (which I've read is what Avast has instead of safe mode functionality) came out clean, as did the MWB safe mode scan. Permission to breathe easy?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep, breathe away sir :winkiss:

Avast will still work as normal in safe mode, but real time scanning is disabled.

mdtexeira

Okay...back to measured breaths. Avast wouldn't allow me to start the service or do a manual scan. I searched the Avast forums on my laptop and I found something saying that the recent version is unable to scan in Safe Mode. I was just parroting that back. I did try to start the service by manually opening the program, but even once the UI was open, it was unresponsive on my attempts to start scans or the basic shields.

Thanks again Spyder...you are a rockstar. Is there anything I can do via the site that somehow benefits you in some way (other than flattery)? Both times I've had issues, you've been quick and super helpful. I can totally tell that you earned the 'Super Star' text beneath your name. Here's to hoping there's a somewhat longer gap than last time before I find myself needing your help again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay...back to measured breaths. Avast wouldn't allow me to start the service or do a manual scan. I searched the Avast forums on my laptop and I found something saying that the recent version is unable to scan in Safe Mode. I was just parroting that back. I did try to start the service by manually opening the program, but even once the UI was open, it was unresponsive on my attempts to start scans or the basic shields.

Thanks again Spyder...you are a rockstar. Is there anything I can do via the site that somehow benefits you in some way (other than flattery)? Both times I've had issues, you've been quick and super helpful. I can totally tell that you earned the 'Super Star' text beneath your name. Here's to hoping there's a somewhat longer gap than last time before I find myself needing your help again.

That's strange of avast not to work in safe mode, but good info, thanks.

I don't know how much I did, but flattery and qudos are always appreciated, you can add rep to me by clicking the star icon to the bottom left of any message I've posted :rockon: