Strix GPUs and wait or pull the trigger?

Hi there,

I'm just planning a high end PC build for streaming, video editing and gaming. Looking at the 2080 Super in particular. Two things I would like help on:

The ASUS Strix 2080s have 3 models: Strix OC (O8G), Strix Advanced (A8G) and Strix (8G). Does anyone know which one PCS uses in their builds?

Also, I prefer to stick with Intel, but with Zen 2 out and Intel not having an answer for it right now, the question here is do I... Wait and see what Ryzen 3950X delivers or just go ahead with a 3900X or i9 9900K?

I'm upgrading from a i7 4770 (non-K) PC which is 6 year old, with a GTX 1080 upgraded a few years ago. So I think it's a good time to go for it.

Thanks!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't know which they use but assume the lowest end (8G) one or else they'd advertise the fact it was a better model.

However, the 2080 Super Strix costs an eye-watering £160 more than the regular one. It's only another £110 for a 2080 ti!

So I'd really encourage you to not buy the Strix GPU. They are terrible value. If you want a model with specific features, order the PC without a GPU and buy and fit your own without paying the Asus tax and remortgaging your internal organs to do so. Otherwise, the regular 2080 Super saves you a truckload of cash, while the 2080 ti offers better bang for buck for a proportionately small price increase. And it's not often you can say that about a 2080 ti :S

For streaming and video editing, and indeed for gaming, an R9 3900x seems like plenty. You'd probably be able to stream to both twitch and youtube at once tbh, while running a game. I'd certainly pick it over the 9900k. Sure, the 9900k is a great gaming CPU, and will stream fine, but the R9 seems better overall, and there is more scope for future upgrades on the platform.

e.g. potentially upgrading your R9 3900x to a Zen 2 Refresh 16-core part in 2020. Not to mention PCIe 4.0 etc etc

What's the full spec you're looking at?

Thanks for the reply!

I do agree that Strix is overpriced if it is the basic version. (They’re charging the same price as an OC version though).

The full specs are:

- R9 3900/3950x or i9 9900K (My inner Intel fanboy is really having a tough time deciding)
- Corsair Vengeance 32GB (16x2) 3000MHz
- RTX 2080 Super Strix OC (or 2080ti as you suggested)
- Aorus Master X570 / Z390 (Depending on CPU)
- Corsair H115i AIO cooler
- Corsair RMx 850W PSU
- Case still undecided

I’m planning this to be a high end build. The logical choice right now is a Ryzen chip but I worry that as Intel is keeping quiet right now, either means that they are planning a 10th Gen release soon or they really don’t have an answer.

If I do go Ryzen, it will probably be the 3950X as that will become the most powerful chip without going HEDT, which future proofs the whole PC as I’ve heard they’re changing from AM4 for Zen 2 Refresh (as they do it every time memory standard changes, DDR5 etc.)

My other concern is the driver/BIOS issues some people are having with Ryzen (although that may be my Intel bias speaking).

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's ludicrously overpriced if it's an OC version too.
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

That's what, a few % more performance for £160, when another ~£100 nets you almost 20% on top of that.

either means that they are planning a 10th Gen release soon or they really don’t have an answer.

Which I'd summarise as option b): they really don't have an answer.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the premise that spending hundreds of quid more on a 16 core over a 12 core CPU really futureproofs the build. Gaming, it clearly won't. Streaming, 12 cores are pretty good as it stands. Likewise for video editing, unless you really, really need to cut down render times. Short of that, by the time you wish you'd had a 16 core Ryzen over a 12 core one, you'll wish you have something newer anyway.