Stuttering in desktop

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
Have your run DPC checker by any chance? This doesn't look like a power issue this looks like a latency issue with your adio driver.

Have you checked the Drivers tab and sorted it by DPC count to see what the top results are?
no what is dpc checker? and yes i agree it could potentially be the audio driver, but several times have done clean installs with fresh drivers, i formatted windows twice btw and pcs originally send me all the links i needed to install audio drivers and the chipset driver etc which i did after fresh windows install but it did crop up again. This is why i suspect bios update is needed, seems im not the only one with problems with these amd chipsets.

barlew

Godlike
no what is dpc checker? and yes i agree it could potentially be the audio driver, but several times have done clean installs with fresh drivers, i formatted windows twice btw and pcs originally send me all the links i needed to install audio drivers and the chipset driver etc which i did after fresh windows install but it did crop up again. This is why i suspect bios update is needed, seems im not the only one with problems with these amd chipsets.
DPC checker is another latency checker tool. It gives you a quick dirty view to see whether you have latency problems. Can you go to the driver page on LatencyMon and sort by DPC count then take a screenshot and post it here?

I wouldn't use the drivers PCS give you because they are probably out of date. You should do a fresh install of windows then continuously run windows update until there are no mandatory or optional updates left. This will install all the latest drivers for you.

Last edited:

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
DPC checker is another latency checker tool. It gives you a quick dirty view to see whether you have latency problems. Can you go to the driver page on LatencyMon and sort by DPC count then take a screenshot and post it here?

I wouldn't use the drivers PCS give you because they are probably out of date. You should do a fresh install of windows then continuously run windows update until there are no mandatory or optional updates left. This will install all the latest drivers for you.
Can u link the dpc checker you are referring to?. pcs dont link out of date drivers....they are from the manufacturers website so are the latest.
Also there has to be a link somewhere with the fact that i had that issue with the pc REBOOTING when going to sleep and not sleeping. This is why i still suspect the power issue that latencymon stated is entirely a possible culprit and not drivers since ive formatted twice. Anyway i feel like I'm hijacking this thread but guess op might need to contribute here :D
not had the lag spike yet from latencymon but not gaming rn, here's the dpcount though attached.

Attachments

• latencymondpc.JPG
    latencymondpc.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 94

barlew

Godlike
Can u link the dpc checker you are referring to?. pcs dont link out of date drivers....they are from the manufacturers website so are the latest.
Also there has to be a link somewhere with the fact that i had that issue with the pc REBOOTING when going to sleep and not sleeping. This is why i still suspect the power issue that latencymon stated is entirely a possible culprit and not drivers since ive formatted twice. Anyway i feel like I'm hijacking this thread but guess op might need to contribute here :D
not had the lag spike yet from latencymon but not gaming rn, here's the dpcount though attached.
To be fair that looks ok. You do get the odd spike from time to time its when it sustained then they are sustained its a problem.

DPC Checker can be downloaded here: https://download.cnet.com/DPC-Latency-Checker/3000-2094_4-75911432.html

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
ye thats why i would be worried i dont trust cnet. I have also just launched armory crate again and thre are loads of updates.... windows....doesn't see them ironicly it thinks i am up to date.

barlew

Godlike
ye thats why i would be worried i dont trust cnet. I have also just launched armory crate again and thre are loads of updates.... windows....doesn't see them ironicly it thinks i am up to date.
Oh right well google dpc latency checker it is widely available across the internet.

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
too many crappy websites appear when i google it but anyway im gonna update my chipset and Realtek audio since armoury crate says i dont have latest, could help so fingers crossed, if not im gonna phone up PCS :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
pcs dont link out of date drivers....they are from the manufacturers website so are the latest.
PCS don't provide any up to date drivers for desktops, they're just the drivers relevant when you're system is build. You shouldn't use any drivers on your PCS account as they will all be out of date.

For a desktop, you let windows update install all it can, then just manually install latest chipset drivers and nvidia drivers direct from nvidia.

But also, check what BIOS you're on, if it's an early version that could relate to DPC and USB issues.

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
PCS don't provide any up to date drivers for desktops, they're just the drivers relevant when you're system is build. You shouldn't use any drivers on your PCS account as they will all be out of date.

For a desktop, you let windows update install all it can, then just manually install latest chipset drivers and nvidia drivers direct from nvidia.

But also, check what BIOS you're on, if it's an early version that could relate to DPC and USB issues.
Hey Spyder, no that's not where i got the drivers from. They linked me latest drivers from the manufacturers website just.

I had contacted them a couple months back about this issue but they didn't suggest a bios update at the time (even though i mentioned there was one). They just instructed me to do fresh driver installs etc but when i tried what they suggested, and it didtn work, they recommended that i call.
I didn't do that instead i opted for a full format and reinstalled windows since i wanted to rule out if it was something i had installed that i wasn't aware of. I did all the updates and was fine for a short while or i didn't notice it as much.

Anyway I've updated the chipset drivers etc yesterday so il see how it goes. I only had one slight stutter last night when i jumped out of my gaming window to windows desktop (something i think can happen anyway). I was only playing wow though and oddly the issues i had been having the past weeks was when watching videos on youtube etc not just gaming (had tried toggling on and off hardware acceleration before anyone suggests it btw).
I do believe i need a bios update which is why i was gonna call PCS and ask about how to do that so i don't bugger up my warrenty :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey Spyder, no that's not where i got the drivers from. They linked me latest drivers from the manufacturers website just.

I had contacted them a couple months back about this issue but they didn't suggest a bios update at the time (even though i mentioned there was one). They just instructed me to do fresh driver installs etc but when i tried what they suggested, and it didtn work, they recommended that i call.
I didn't do that instead i opted for a full format and reinstalled windows since i wanted to rule out if it was something i had installed that i wasn't aware of. I did all the updates and was fine for a short while or i didn't notice it as much.

Anyway I've updated the chipset drivers etc yesterday so il see how it goes. I only had one slight stutter last night when i jumped out of my gaming window to windows desktop (something i think can happen anyway). I was only playing wow though and oddly the issues i had been having the past weeks was when watching videos on youtube etc not just gaming (had tried toggling on and off hardware acceleration before anyone suggests it btw).
I do believe i need a bios update which is why i was gonna call PCS and ask about how to do that so i don't bugger up my warrenty
Gotcha, that all makes sense.

Do you know what bios version you're currently on? You can find out in system info in Windows or the bios of course.

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
Gotcha, that all makes sense.

Do you know what bios version you're currently on? You can find out in system info in Windows or the bios of course.
Hey spyder yes its from march last year. Bios version is 3401 dated 19/03/2021 I contacted PCS and they have given me a link to a drop box file....but im replying coz they seemed to have linked me x-570 bios and well...my board was that originally in my first order but i changed to ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI on advice of you lovely forum folks when i was making my purchase. There are new versions for this board on asus's website, i checked myself. Not sure why they linked me different bios update in PCS support or is the crosshair hero wifi actually an x570?

Last edited:

CurtisG2000

It's been well over a month since I last posted about this issue, but I reset my PC's bios configuration to factory default settings back in January, and it has completely fixed the stuttering issue on my end. I haven't run into this issue ever since. It must've possibly been a bad overclock? I've got my own custom overclock setup and all my games are running perfectly! *touch wood*. I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's been well over a month since I last posted about this issue, but I reset my PC's bios configuration to factory default settings back in January, and it has completely fixed the stuttering issue on my end. I haven't run into this issue ever since. It must've possibly been a bad overclock? I've got my own custom overclock setup and all my games are running perfectly! *touch wood*. I hope this helps. :)
You wouldn't want to overclock Ryzen for gaming, it would hugely reduce performance, doesn't improve it because of the way the Ryzen cores are configured.