Switch 3080 to 3090 for a faster build?

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
Is that likely to have a material impact on delivery time? Please forget the cost.

Thanks

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
question is: is the cpu is it in stock if you go 3090, considering this myself

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
question is: is the cpu is it in stock if you go 3090, considering this myself
Not yet, but that's a good point, many folks getting the 3080 delay will also be getting a delay for their AMD Ryzen 9 CPU and I know the CPUs are also on pre-order.

MadK17

Bronze Level Poster
Switching to the 3090 will accelerate your order (take it to the mean 20-30 days build time), so long as you're not on a pre-order CPU as well (like the new AMD 5900s).

willrnt

Bronze Level Poster
i switched to a 3090 two days ago, and got an email this morning saying my pc was estimated to be built around january 12 :) ordered on dec 11

Gavras

Master Poster
There will also be a finite number of 3090’s, at some point someone switching is going to at end of another spares delay...

i switched to a 3090 two days ago, and got an email this morning saying my pc was estimated to be built around january 12 :) ordered on dec 11
same order date and estimated build date as me 😂. I removed my GPU yesterday after a retailer had 3070s in stock.

i am taking those emails with a grain of salt mind as I’ve had 3 before (1saying 24th dec and other 2 saying 28th dec)

can anyone inform me as to the brand/s of the 3090 they have received.
thanks as considering a change from the 3080 FE. my tether is reaching its end

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
can anyone inform me as to the brand/s of the 3090 they have received.
thanks as considering a change from the 3080 FE. my tether is reaching its end
PCS don’t stock founders edition cards it’s so you’re aware. Unless ordering an ASUs card on the configurator, you get any model they currently have in stock, usually Palit or zotac, but sometimes gigabyte or msi also. It’s pot luck.

1610724011948.png

1610724027275.png

for the difference of 6 frames in some cases £592 is a lot of money to get something faster £98.60 a frame it works out around really would advise against it even to get it quicker

when i configured the computer back in october there was the option to select FE cards which i did. No one has informed me that this is no longer an option and so i have been under the assumption that i will get the FE card as chosen. I had noted that the choice of a FE card was removed sometime in november but assumed that it did not affect me, are you telling me that this is wrong.

It was never an FE card to begin with...PCS don't use FE cards. The choices have always been either the "10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080" which would usually be from Pallit or Zotac (or, due to current times, maybe MSI or any other brand they can get their hands on) or "10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080" which is the Strix card and the only way to guarantee a specific brand.

It is entirely possible the non-Strix cards didn't have the "Not Founders Edition" in the description bit as it does now but they still weren't FE cards though
yeah they did not state they were FE Cards they then added not founders edition to clarify for people

It was never an FE card to begin with...PCS don't use FE cards. The choices have always been either the "10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080" which would usually be from Pallit or Zotac (or, due to current times, maybe MSI or any other brand they can get their hands on) or "10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080" which is the Strix card and the only way to guarantee a specific brand.

It is entirely possible the non-Strix cards didn't have the "Not Founders Edition" in the description bit as it does now but they still weren't FE cards though
You are right, Ive checked my original invoice and it states "10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080" and i was probable in error to assume it was a FE card, but in my defence all other cards listed at the time had a brand name showing, so to assume a "10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080" is the FE card i would say was a reasonable assumption. Now knowing what brand of card PCS intend on using in their builds i am not surprised they chose to omit that information in their configurator. After all PCS could not have known in advance the supply problems or demand this card would have in advance, so why would you not inform potential customers what exactly they were buying. Poor is the only word i feel i can use in this forum. So now i am left with a dilemma, do i cancel this order and join a new queue with another company who actually state that the card i buy is the one i will get, (and wait another six months (because of Nvidias recent statement)) or do i accept a Pallit, with its worse performance to the FE, the Zotec which is similar in performance but with more noise and no overclocking. These are the cheaper cards, does this mean poor quality components and will i just be buying a whole lot of problems. the reviews i have read on these cards make me worry. if i am wrong please inform.

just to add to my previous post, and the reason i worry ,the computer i am waiting on has cost me over 3 grand (i normally spend around 900) and i would not like to think it will be held to ransom by one poor quality ( in all meanings of the word) but vital component.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
just to add to my previous post, and the reason i worry ,the computer i am waiting on has cost me over 3 grand (i normally spend around 900) and i would not like to think it will be held to ransom by one poor quality ( in all meanings of the word) but vital component.
PCS don't use poor quality components. It's not in their interest as a business to use any components that are in any way inferior, and given the volumes that they build it would soon become apparent if they were.

Gavras

Master Poster
PCS don't use poor quality components. It's not in their interest as a business to use any components that are in any way inferior, and given the volumes that they build it would soon become apparent if they were.
The biggest issue (no matter the PC Builder) is customers buying top end Graphics, CPU, then penny pinching on PSU, Case, Cooling, Motherboard).

The over £2k builds and a £60 or less case that is expected to handle high end cooling on minimum fan layout etc.

I can imagine the bragging rights - ‘ got most expensive fastest most FPS most power Gfx card, CPU But, wait for it I managed to get a case for £37, great eh mate’