Switch 3080 to 3090 for a faster build?

mcfcmac

Just about 21 days in and my PC is awaiting dispatch, not a 3080 but a ASUS ROG STRIX 3090.

Pretty wild, wasn't expecting it this quick.

That's pretty quick, whats your spec, I'm on 41 working days but I've order a 5950X so I imagine thats the current hold up

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
Maybe I should have stuck to Intel but I was persuaded by the handsome know-it-alls on this forum to switch over to AMD!

mcfcmac

I've just spoken with PCS regarding this, apparently my build is awaiting both the 3090 and the 5950X so I'm quite confused regarding how they are actually allocating these if orders are being built on such low lead times. I've requested more information, I understand this is a global supply issue but a bit of clarity on how the cards and CPU's are being allocated would be greatly appreciated.

I've just spoken with PCS regarding this, apparently my build is awaiting both the 3090 and the 5950X so I'm quite confused regarding how they are actually allocating these if orders are being built on such low lead times. I've requested more information, I understand this is a global supply issue but a bit of clarity on how the cards and CPU's are being allocated would be greatly appreciated.
Orders are completed by order date providing all parts are in stock.

If parts aren’t in stock it goes
to the next order which they have all the parts for.

mcfcmac

Orders are completed by order date providing all parts are in stock.

If parts aren’t in stock it goes
to the next order which they have all the parts for.
Whilst I understand there is some logic here, that would mean customers with 2 out of stock items (which is quite common in the current circumstance) are waiting for a once in a blue moon opportunity where both are available so I would hope that this isn't the case, but if this is correct I'll speak with PCS about this because I'll simply alter my spec to a 10900K to hopefully go around this

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
Whilst I understand there is some logic here, that would mean customers with 2 out of stock items (which is quite common in the current circumstance) are waiting for a once in a blue moon opportunity where both are available so I would hope that this isn't the case, but if this is correct I'll speak with PCS about this because I'll simply alter my spec to a 10900K to hopefully go around this

Is the 10900K as good a chip as the 5900x? Any real downsides other than price?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is the 10900K as good a chip as the 5900x? Any real downsides other than price?
Terrible in multi threaded, about the same in single core, needs substantially more power, runs about 10 degrees hotter, hundreds of unpatchable security flaws, No PCIe 4, the list goes on and on.

kreem

Ive gone into building! Ordered on Jan 13, switched to the 3090 on Jan 20.

Went intel instead of AMD (i know i know...) which may explain the quick turnaround. Either way im chuffed

rajadd

Silver Level Poster
Ive gone into building! Ordered on Jan 13, switched to the 3090 on Jan 20.

Went intel instead of AMD (i know i know...) which may explain the quick turnaround. Either way im chuffed

Hope you enjoy it! I personally can't accept the Intel chip if it has no PCIe 4 for the gain of a couple more weeks of gaming time.