System Shock remake

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
System Shock 2 is one of my all-time favourite games, but I've never played the original, which is somewhat suprising considering my choice of avatar. I did a probably silly thing and pre-ordered the Remake which was due to be out this year, but with the pandemic, etc, it has been delayed into next year. While not quite in development hell yet, the news has made me a little twitchy, but hopefully, I've made the right choice.

Look.

At.

These.

system-shock-remake-mantis-screenshot.jpg

system-shock-remake-screenshot-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 41971

System Shock 2 is one of my all-time favourite games, but I've never played the original, which is somewhat suprising considering my choice of avatar. I did a probably silly thing and pre-ordered the Remake which was due to be out this year, but with the pandemic, etc, it has been delayed into next year. While not quite in development hell yet, the news has made me a little twitchy, but hopefully, I've made the right choice.

Look.

At.

These.

looks really good,

gog has the originals at a good price

D

Deleted member 41971

Look.

At.

These.

you prob already know this but on steam it says the following, so if you pre ordered it it looks like a great deal

Customers who pre-order this version of System Shock will receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition for free when SS2:EE is released.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
you prob already know this but on steam it says the following, so if you pre ordered it it looks like a great deal

Customers who pre-order this version of System Shock will receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition for free when SS2:EE is released.
Yeah, that was a big thing that swayed me on giving the pre-order a go. As I said in the first post, one of my absolute favourite games!

SS2 would have been a pre-order on its own, so this is a great deal!

robin h 25

I always been interested in the System Shock games but have never played them, I was only a console gamer when the original games came out,

I always thought of them as something similar to Half-Life but in space,

Having heard of a Remake in the works, I put it on my steam wish list and that was about 5 years ago... (13 / 07 / 2016, when i wish listed System Shock)
2021-12-20 3.png

I wasn't even sure if the remake was going to happen as I've never really heard anything since i put on my steam wish list,

I'll be pre-ordering it at some point, before it gets released to get System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I always thought of them as something similar to Half-Life but in space
Not quite, they’ve got a bit more of a horror feel to them than that.

Many of the veterans who worked on System Shock later went on to work on Bioshock, that’s probably a more similar vibe to compare it to than Half Life.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I always been interested in the System Shock games but have never played them, I was only a console gamer when the original games came out,

I always thought of them as something similar to Half-Life but in space,

Having heard of a Remake in the works, I put it on my steam wish list and that was about 5 years ago... (13 / 07 / 2016, when i wish listed System Shock)
View attachment 31210
I wasn't even sure if the remake was going to happen as I've never really heard anything since i put on my steam wish list,

I'll be pre-ordering it at some point, before it gets released to get System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition.
System Shock is more of an RPG than Half Life, but given how many FPS games now have RPG elements, I'm interested to see how the remakes go. @AgentCooper's Bioshock comparison is more than fair and certainly the kind of vibe I got from playing the remake demo on Steam

D

Deleted member 41971

System Shock is more of an RPG than Half Life, but given how many FPS games now have RPG elements, I'm interested to see how the remakes go. @AgentCooper's Bioshock comparison is more than fair and certainly the kind of vibe I got from playing the remake demo on Steam

i really enjoyed bioshock on the 360 when it came out a while ago now, going from say a PS2 to HD really showed off the first scenes of the plane crash and the fire when the character was in the water

robin h 25

Not quite, they’ve got a bit more of a horror feel to them than that.

Many of the veterans who worked on System Shock later went on to work on Bioshock, that’s probably a more similar vibe to compare it to than Half Life.
Ah, ok, It's just I've never seen any game play or trailers, to get a sense of what System Shock is like, I only ever based it off screenshots from the box art that i had seen back in the day when PC games came in those Huge boxes from high street gaming stores before they went extinct or some screenshots from gaming magazines from what i can remember,

That's why I've always thought it was similar to Half-life since the mid-late 90's, or at least had a Half-Life vibe as Bioshock wasn't around when System Shock released, again I've only ever gone off of screenshots

if it's more like BioShock then the better(y) .

robin h 25

Just finished and completed playing the Remake demo in almost 4 hours, I definitely see and feel the Bioshock vibe to System Shock,

The only slight Half-Life element to it that i see, is cracking enemies over the head with the pipe, very much like Gordon Freeman's trusty crowbar but that's about it, every thing else is Bioshock vibe.

I can't wait play it even more now, when it get's released.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just finished and completed playing the Remake demo in almost 4 hours, I definitely see and feel the Bioshock vibe to System Shock,

The only slight Half-Life element to it that i see, is cracking enemies over the head with the pipe, very much like Gordon Freeman's trusty crowbar but that's about it, every thing else is Bioshock vibe.

I can't wait play it even more now, when it get's released.
Yeeeessss! Good to have another person onboard!

@Bhuna50 may still have one of the System Shock series available as a freebie, I’m sure he’d gift it to you if you sent him a DM 👍

robin h 25

I’ve still got System Shock 2 left if you want that. Just send a Private message if you want it - to remind me when I log on to my laptop 😀
Thanks for the offer, but seeing that System Shock Remake is coming with System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition. I'll wait for that.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Thanks for the offer, but seeing that System Shock Remake is coming with System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition. I'll wait for that.
I'm determined to tempt you with some free games, if original System Shock 2 isn't going to do it, perhaps some of the games here or here might interest you. Myself, @Bhuna50 and a few others have given away various games for free when we've ended up with spare Steam keys, etc. There's no catch, beyond a vague promise that you consider giving away any spare games you end up with in future.