TalkTalk giving me faster [not fibre optic] Broadband: Discuss.

F3AR

So literally, my internet is my only bottleneck, and today TalkTalk gave me a letter, a letter that made me a very happy chappy.
I shan't photocopy it for you to see [For obvious reasons] but it went something like this,
Hello F3AR,
We're upgrading your internet to TalkTalk Next generation network, which means faster speeds..
[I skipped the rest]

Also, I live in the middle of nowhere, which means, people, dare I say it, care about us?!?!

TL;DR TalkTalk [most hated broadband company] gave me a free upgrade, discuss.

F3AR!

WinsThings

I'm shocked! I had an awful experience with TalkTalk - they couldn't even get the phone line working to use broadband but still charged for the broadband we didn't receive. Took a bit of a fight to get the money back but at least got a letter from the CEO apologising for it.

Fingers crossed the other ISPs are feeling as generous.

sted

Rising Star
I'm shocked! I had an awful experience with TalkTalk

This. Been cut off numerous times when I had TalkTalk, took forever everytime we needed to get through to their call centre sloooow unreliable connection and such. BT is much better IMO, but more expensive, atleast it is reliable though, never been cut off for no reason with BT.

liamnic2

Super Star
This. Been cut off numerous times when I had TalkTalk, took forever everytime we needed to get through to their call centre sloooow unreliable connection and such. BT is much better IMO, but more expensive, atleast it is reliable though, never been cut off for no reason with BT.

Same. BT is way better than my old TalkTalk. Plus BT are soo scared to lose a customer. Just tell them your going to change broadband and they will give you a sweet deal. Got 2 free upgrades and the new 3.0 hub for free. Win ?

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
I got an email from BT last month saying "oh hai, u have infinity? y u no have infinity 2? Click here to upgrade"

24hrs later, I've got 40Mb down 10Mb up.

PokerFace

Banned
Had a power cut last night that messed up my Sky+ box. I could still select channels but nothing visible in TV guide or my planner (recorded stuff). Phoned the Sky help and I got through straight away, so that was one good thing. He couldn't correct the problem, so had to reset everything. I was a bit pee'd off though as all my recorded stuff is gone.

Anyway, during the call I mentioned that I only get 2.64 D/L speed and they are going to try to put me on 4MB. Hopefully it doesn't result in instability though.

LOL @ 40Mb. Lucky you Big_Rich :)

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
You should always try the "unplug from mains, hold down the backup button, plug back into mains" trick first before totally resetting your sky box and losing everything.

This forces it to install/reinstall the latest firmware without wiping your programmes.

PokerFace

Banned
You should always try the "unplug from mains, hold down the backup button, plug back into mains" trick first before totally resetting your sky box and losing everything.

This forces it to install/reinstall the latest firmware without wiping your programmes.

Thank Big_Rich, but that's exactly what the Sky guy had me do after trying a few other things. Before I did it he said that this process would wipe out all my recordings. Anyway, I don't know when exactly when the recordings disappeared, but they're long gone now :(

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Maybe your HDD became corrupt.

The backup button thing doesn't erase your recordings, it's just a way of forcing a firmware update (if there is one) rather than waiting for Sky to push it to you.

PokerFace

Banned
You may be right. I had another blue screen on tv tonight. I unplugged/replugged and it's ok at the moment. If the box packs in, does Sky provide a new one or is it down to me?