Tap to click on touchpad for Optimus V

OddballMV

Hi,

I've got an Optimus V as a gaming laptop but playing some games with the touchpad or controller I'm noticing some issues versus using a mouse. In FPS games I can not run and shoot at the same time where I can with a mouse. Looking online it seems this may be related to a setting on the touchpad disabling disabling it when using the keyboard, is there a way to turn this off?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Look under the Mouse icon in Control Panel, that's where you'll find all the mouse settings. If you don't have any advanced settings available, such as the one you mentioned, or the ability to define gestures, then you possibly don't have the proper driver installed for the touchpad and you're using the Windows default driver. Check to see whether there is a touchpad driver on the driver disk that came with the laptop or download the appropriate driver from the Clevo download site at http://clevo.com/en/e-services/download.asp.

OddballMV

I've downloaded the one from the Clevo website but I can't get it to install, when I try to update and runs through the process and says complete but I'm still on the old driver, if I uninstall the current driver it reboots and install the same driver again automatically.

I've installed the one from the CD and that has installed correctly but is there any way to get the updated one from the website to install correctly, it does say on the website that it has been updated to suit Windows 8.1 which I am on?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've downloaded the one from the Clevo website but I can't get it to install, when I try to update and runs through the process and says complete but I'm still on the old driver, if I uninstall the current driver it reboots and install the same driver again automatically.

I've installed the one from the CD and that has installed correctly but is there any way to get the updated one from the website to install correctly, it does say on the website that it has been updated to suit Windows 8.1 which I am on?

That's a worry. Are you sure you're using the correct Clevo model number when searching for drivers? It's on a label on the bottom of the laptop.

If the driver is not installing at all I suspect there is a problem. It's probably a Windows problem but it could also be the hardware. Can you establish who the manufacturer of the touchpad is? The entry in Device Manager should tell you who the vendor is, you could then try downloading a Windows 8.1 driver from their website.

OddballMV

Its on the bottom as a W350ST and the listing on the website is W35xST/W37xST so I guess it serves quite a few laptops.

In the general bit on device manager it says Manufacturer: Synaptics but that may be just because I now have the old driver from the CD installed. If it's a Windows problem then i guess there is not much I can do.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I did a bit of digging this morning since my Optimus IV has an Elan touchpad and I'm guessing the Optimus V probably has the same one? My driver is provided by Elan, and Speccy (from http://www.piriform.com/speccy) reports it as an ELAN PS/2 PORT SMART PAD and I have an Elan tab in the ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad entry in device manager (where all the advanced settings are located). As you say though, it's probably the driver reporting that info.

After some searching I eventually discovered that the company that makes these things is called ELAN Microelectronics, based in Taiwan (http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/index.asp) but they don't supply drivers, they tell you to download drivers from you computer manufacturer. Doh.

If the official Synaptics driver from Clevo won't install I'd be tempted to call PCS but that probably means a long wait until after the new year I guess? If you're feeling brave you might try the driver from the Clevo site for the Optimus IV (my model number is W350ET). I don't see how it can do any harm and I bet the IV and the V share the same touchpad. I'm running Windows 8.1 like you and I'm using the Windows 8 touchpad driver (for the W350ET) with no problems - all the advanced features (gestures etc.) work. If it were me I'd give that one a try.

OddballMV

I had one last try in device manager and when I said browse from a list on my computer and unticked 'show compatible hardware' then it came up with the Windows one and the Synaptics ones from the disk and website so I've got it installed.

Unfortunately there are still no options from what I can see to sort this disabling of the touchpad when the keyboard is being used, it takes about 2 seconds from stopping typing to being able to use it again. I can't set this in the keyboard settings either, it's so frustrating because I'm pretty useless with a mouse.

OddballMV

SUCCESS! After some more searching it seems there is a feature within the Windows 8 Modern UI settings that works on top of the driver settings to delay the touchpad for a few seconds while typing.

This is the ridiculous situation of having two lots of mouse settings, one in the desktop and the Modern UI, both of which conflict.

Thank you so much ubuysa for your help, there was quite a bit more in the Synaptics settings that I was able to tweak. I'm a happy man now!

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
SUCCESS! After some more searching it seems there is a feature within the Windows 8 Modern UI settings that works on top of the driver settings to delay the touchpad for a few seconds while typing.

This is the ridiculous situation of having two lots of mouse settings, one in the desktop and the Modern UI, both of which conflict.

Thank you so much ubuysa for your help, there was quite a bit more in the Synaptics settings that I was able to tweak. I'm a happy man now!

Well done for spotting that, that's new to me. +Rep for posting this. :)

Edit: Just been and found this setting on my Windows 8.1, for anyone else looking it's under PC Settings > PC and Devices > Mouse and Touchpad. It seems the default delay before the touchpad is active is "Medium Delay".

Last edited: