Telescope

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Very random question but does anyone know much about telescopes?

(Stating right now that this has buggerall to do with John Lewis or people on the Moon)

Recently got rid of dad's telescope as it was pretty banged up and not really ever used that much. Was therefore thinking about getting a new one, possibly better (the old one was rather basic I think) but have no idea where to start. Nothing overly fancy of course, just to do a bit of homebrew stargazing etc.

Will of course trawl the interwebs for more specific info/forum content, but always like to check here first, because I'm lazy and can't be bothered signing up to umpteen fora :D

Thoughts?

LFFPicard

Godlike
Depends how much your willing to spend. I picked up a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT, good views of the moon, with the bundle I got with it I can see Jupiter (Pic Below) and a couple moons just... And I can see Saturn with clearly distinguished rings. Although very small there still viewable.

The bundle cost me £600 but I got a battery tank, more eyepieces etc etc with it. You can get the scope as is for £350. As I say it all depends how much you wan tot spend it can get a little pricey. My friend just dished out about £1500 for a scope and slr camera.

10957339_10155160714590075_1329796215698988693_n.jpg

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Haha nice one Page :) loved the first site where the banner showed an offer to get $595 of free gifts with a purchase. Don't think you even have to look at the prices to know what they are going to be like with an offer like that :D

Pagey

Bright Spark
After looking through their catalogue, they actually have budget priced ones that look pretty decent. And I'm talking sub $100 here. :D

LFFPicard

Godlike
Meade have gone a bit down as far a sI know, the best ones to go for at the moment are Celestron or Skywatcher

LFFPicard

Godlike
Yep I got that, got it set up to actually move my Telescope for me, stuck it on my Laptop, hooked it up to the scope and away we go :)
My friend has done the same on his surface pro.

Speaking of my friend further up having a better setup than me, here is a link to a pic he has taken of Andromeda.

http://www.astrobin.com/227876/C/