Temperatures on GPU

OwenL87

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what temperatures you get on your GPU's.

I got the below machine in May (which is running great to be fair) but a friend mentioned to me that the GPU looked insanely hot, and after being on various forums etc, they all seem to think its running super hot.

Under 95% load, playing Elder Scrolls Online on High settings (which isn't that intense), the temps get up to 86 degrees - confirmed on both the built in task manager and msi afterburner.

Numerous people have suggested adjusting fan curve, and reducing max temp in Afterburner, but I don't really want to adjust with factory settings, without knowing exactly what I am doing.

Any thoughts be appreciated, or am I just freaking over nothing? :)

Thanks!

Spec:

Case THERMALTAKE V200 2.0 TEMPERED GLASS RGB EDITION GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700 (3.0GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® H310-PLUS R2.0: ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

Attachments

• gpu1.jpg
    gpu1.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 167

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It will run hot as the build is not really optimised at all for the components you have, the motherboard, RAM and case alone are not suitable for the CPU and GPU, so the temps will be on the hot side. There's not a lot you can really do about that other than replacing the case (and perhaps other components which aren't listed).

OwenL87

Lovely! Thanks for that! :) There's no real danger of burning out parts tho is there really? I just want to know that its not doing any damage or anything like that, no issue with the temp in theory as long as its not causing any damage.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You may also find that performance is hampered as well as boosts can only be achieved if there’s thermal headroom.

86c is the thermal limit on that GPU, so it's very likely it's got reduced clocks at this point.

What monitor are you pairing it with, what resolution and refresh rate or make and model?

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The case is a known issue for airflow etc. People have noticed dramatic improvement by removing the side panel. I would give this a go first and see if you get better temperatures.

Also be aware that you need a good space around the case to allow airflow in and around it.

Fan curves will also help, as will increasing the speed of any chassis fans.... but this is going to be noisier as a result. As long as you are willing to live with a bit of hum/drone you should be able to get the system running cooler.

OwenL87

Thanks for the responses guys - really appreciate the help! Gutted about my pre-build being a potential power throttled monster :( But anyway.... I tried removing the side glass panel, and that didnt make much of a difference to be honest, maybe 1 -2 degrees max. I have left plenty of space behind, side of it, and above it so no issue there either. Excuse my absolute ignorance - but how does one adjust the fan curves? The best way is doing through bios yeah?

On the monitor - I have an ASUS VP28UQGL 28" 4K GAMING MONITOR 60hz, and I am playing at 3840 x 2160, on Elder Scrolls and whatever games can take that to be honest. I want to try make things look as good as I can. On shooters and faster paced games I am typically running at 1080p. However as a test last night I did run Galactic Civ 3 (old game) with very little happening on screen and no real GPU power needed, and it was still reaching 80 degrees which I thought was odd.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The GPU fan can be controlled via the GPU software. Do you know which brand of GPU you have? You may have the software already installed on there.

Other than the standard software MSI afterburner is often a firm favourite.

There will also be software for the motherboard that will allow you to control the chassis fans and the CPU fans. I think the software for ASUS is FanXpert. If you search for that in your start menu it may also be there. Otherwise you want to download it from the ASUS website.

Just for trials I would set all fans to maximum, CPU, GPU, chassis... everything. It'll sound like it's about to take off but that's as good as the temps are likely to get. From there put it through the maximum stress you can, and are likely to ever do, which will give you a delta point to begin with. Everything should run within comfortable temperature margins. If they don't, something is wrong.

Oh..... do all of the above with the side panel off initially then put it on and re-run the testing to see if there is a difference.

OwenL87

All brilliant info - thanks a million for that!

The GPU is a Gigabyte one, I did have a look last night for something to control the GPU and couldn't find it in the settings anywhere, but will see whats out there for Gigabyte.

That's a nice little project so for the evening when I get home! Time to invest in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones by the sounds of it :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All brilliant info - thanks a million for that!

The GPU is a Gigabyte one, I did have a look last night for something to control the GPU and couldn't find it in the settings anywhere, but will see whats out there for Gigabyte.

That's a nice little project so for the evening when I get home! Time to invest in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones by the sounds of it :)
If you want some really good overear gaming headset, check out SteelSeries, I have the Arctis 7 and have been blown away by how good they are for the price, I've bought sets over double the cost of these that weren't as good. Although I do think generally headset technology has moved on a huge amount in the past 5 years, especially wireless headsets:

RichH

Gold Level Poster
cant beat a pair of inner ear BOSE noise cancelling - very comfortable - even more so if you wear glasses like I do and over ear ones get quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours (and my ears get sweaty)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
cant beat a pair of inner ear BOSE noise cancelling - very comfortable - even more so if you wear glasses like I do and over ear ones get quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours (and my ears get sweaty)
I do love IEM's, have a few pairs of Shures which I absolutely love.

OwenL87

Thanks for all the help guys!

Going to try those tweaks tonight and let ye know how I get on :)

On headphones, have had my eyes on the corsair void wireless, logi g533 or the arctis 7's. That's another days work trying to decide that :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for all the help guys!

Going to try those tweaks tonight and let ye know how I get on :)

On headphones, have had my eyes on the corsair void wireless, logi g533 or the arctis 7's. That's another days work trying to decide that :)
All very good. All the best with it :)

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
I've got Arctis Pro Wireless and they're pretty good. Maybe not as good my old Sennheiser's but they're truly wireless, whereas I had to use an Astro Mixamp with the Sennheiser's. The Steelseries have loads of features too so they're perfect for gaming. There is a pair on Amazon in the Warehouse for £180-£190.

On temps I have a RTX 2080S too and it's never went much above 60°c, even when running Death Stranding on max, with only the 3 intake fans on the 680X case. I've just installed an additional 2 intake's and a Corsair Commander Pro and I've set a custom temperature curve and it's hovered around 50°c so far. This shows low temps are possible so as said it has to be either your case and/or component combination.

OwenL87

Ok so tried a few different things, installed all recommended apps and messed around with various fan speeds etc, and all my case fans, and CPU fans on full, and GPU fan on full. Playing Elder Scrolls again on 3480 x 2160 and still no change. I put in an image of temps there to show you guys. And fans are on full and loudly humming and side panel is fully off. I mean I feel cold sitting next to the machine because of the power of the fans :).

The only time I was able to get the temp down to around 60 was when i dropped the resolution to 1280 x 720 which looks awful obviously ingame.

Any other ideas or am I stuck?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-19 215244.png
    Annotation 2020-08-19 215244.png
    597.5 KB · Views: 153

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm honestly at a loss I'm afraid. You may just have gotten unlucky with the binning of your GPU. 82C is fine, don't get me wrong..... but having to ramp up everything to max to get that temperature isn't ideal.

As an example, my 2080 was pushed to max on MS2020 FS the other day and didn't go above 70C. My fan wasn't even on full but my H115i was (to aid airflow).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I doubt this will have much of an impact but there’s a newer driver out 452.06, worth installing that.

That does seem high considering all fans at max.

I would just log this with PCS and get their take on it, they may want to investigate that card.

OwenL87

Cool thanks for the help guys!

Yeah like I 100% dont want to be causing hassle for PCS and absolutely am not looking for anything, because to be fair its working absolutely fine, its just more long term if there are issues that I am worried about!

In other news I also ordered the Wireless Arctics 7s :) :)