The Amiga 500 Mini

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Great news for people of a certain age such as me, early next year Retro Games will be releasing a fully licensed (and somewhat downsized) version of the Amiga 500! There’ll be an initial 25 games, only 12 of which have been named so far, and potentially more to come at a later date.

I’m going to keep an eye on this one, used to love playing on ours as a kid!

6EA49979-1612-404E-8997-E571EDC2741E.jpeg

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
:love::love:I very much want!!

i can remember play on my mate Amiga 1000 i think it was. my favourite game was where you played a tank on a terrain(usually mountains) and had to angle your shots to hit the other tank with what ever ammo you chose. It's been so long I've forgotten the name of the name although it's very similar to Worms 😁

EDIT: just did a search for the game, it's called Scorched Tanks

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There was a similar game I used to play called Tanx, absolutely loved it.

Amiga is and, always will be, one of my favourite pieces of electrical hardware. I absolutely adore it. I always have a functioning version or other (usually on PC via UAE). Not sure if I'll be in the market for such a piece of kit but it's interesting regardless.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
:love::love:I very much want!!

i can remember play on my mate Amiga 1000 i think it was. my favourite game was where you played a tank on a terrain(usually mountains) and had to angle your shots to hit the other tank with what ever ammo you chose. It's been so long I've forgotten the name of the name although it's very similar to Worms 😁

EDIT: just did a search for the game, it's called Scorched Tanks
There was a similar game I used to play called Tanx, absolutely loved it.

Amiga is and, always will be, one of my favourite pieces of electrical hardware. I absolutely adore it. I always have a functioning version or other (usually on PC via UAE). Not sure if I'll be in the market for such a piece of kit but it's interesting regardless.
There were a plethora of similar games out around the same time. The best of which will always be Scorched Earth, I played that to death well into my early twenties with friends thanks to the joy of shareware.

But Tanx was brilliant too, I seem to recall I got my copy free on the cover of CU Amiga magazine!

slimbob

Enthusiast
I had a C64 but never managed to get an Amiga. Lucky for me one of my mates down the road got an Amiga and my other mate got an Atari ST. So I had the best of both worlds! My next machine was a Sega Megadrive which came with a joystick and Batman game. The excitement was almost too much. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I had a C64 but never managed to get an Amiga. Lucky for me one of my mates down the road got an Amiga and my other mate got an Atari ST. So I had the best of both worlds! My next machine was a Sega Megadrive which came with a joystick and Batman game. The excitement was almost too much. :)
Ah the Commodore 64. Did you ever buy this book?

slimbob

Enthusiast
Ah the Commodore 64. Did you ever buy this book?

No I never even knew this book even existed. Back then the title alone would have sparked my curiosity so much that not buying it was no longer an option. Did you have a C64 and did you invest in this book? If you did please spill the beans what was the secret :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No I never even knew this book even existed. Back then the title alone would have sparked my curiosity so much that not buying it was no longer an option. Did you have a C64 and did you invest in this book? If you did please spill the beans what was the secret :)
I'm one of the authors. I was given a C64 to review for the old (and long dead) Computing magazine. I wrote a lot of technical articles for them at the time. Babani publishers contacted me after the review inviting me and my close friend to write a technical book on the C64. By then we'd found a way to extend the features of the built in BASIC interpreter in the C64 and the code for that (in hex) is in the book. :)

slimbob

Enthusiast
I thought there was something fishy about Agent Cooper's reply :). That's very impressive!, I see it is on sale on eBay and one recently sold in June. So people still love the C64 and want to know the secret. If I bought your book back when I had a C64 (9 years old ) I would be hoping the secret was if I pushed a variety of specific keys simultaneously on the night of of a full moon it would trigger my C64 to metamorphize into a brand new Tron arcade machine, anything less would of been most disappointing. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I thought there was something fishy about Agent Cooper's reply :). That's very impressive!, I see it is on sale on eBay and one recently sold in June. So people still love the C64 and want to know the secret. If I bought your book back when I had a C64 (9 years old ) I would be hoping the secret was if I pushed a variety of specific keys simultaneously on the night of of a full moon it would trigger my C64 to metamorphize into a brand new Tron arcade machine, anything less would of been most disappointing. :)
I'm glad someone is still making money from our book. We only received royalties for three years. It didn't make us rich!

CMP01

Enthusiast
No Amiga here, nor Atari ST (both of which my besties of yore speak much of) I did have a C64 though going into my teens, with disk drive, which afaik was quite rare for most casual/gamer types. Before that, and we're talking mid 80's now, I got a Dragon 32 hand me down that I was too young for at one point, and an Intellivision one Christmas.

My mate had some Amiga games that were good for the time (even against Nintendo/Sega offerings) that I wished were on C64 at the time. Damned if I can recall the names though, except for Shadow of the Beast. In one you played as a knight questing through a dark fantasy land, every location had different monsters to fight and clear. One monster was like a nightmare Swamp Thing that was nigh on unbeatable. In another you pilot a mech/walker fighting in different eras, one player could control the movement and another the guns.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Ah, Shadow of the Beast. We got the sequel as a freebie with our Amiga and despite every single member of the family having a good go, we never managed to complete it. That’s why I’m hoping it’s included on the Amiga Mini, I’ve got unfinished business.

In fact, Shadow of the Beast II definitely deserves to be on there for its game over screen alone, it’s a belter:

A0B5B31F-724C-493C-A254-449883D9909B.jpeg

It’s also one of the games that really showed off how good the Enhanced Chip Set was at audio, Amiga games always sounded better than their competitors. The Karamoon theme from this game is a good example, thirty odd years later and I still hum it when I’m doing the dishes.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
SOTB3 was my favourite of the series. Really amazing games. Impossible to complete though and starting from the beginning each time was awful.