The Book Clud

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi, just figured I'd start up a "What are you reading?" thread. Basically I'd just like to know what you're currently reading and what you think about it, or tell us about your favourite book or if you'd like suggestions on what to read next.

On a previous board me and few other members would always set ourselves a challenge to read 50 books in a year and we would use the thread to talk about what we're reading. I'm going to try and do it again starting tomorrow with my previous high being 37 books I'm determined to make it to 50 this year!

Feel free to join in, I'll be using this thread to put my thoughts out on what I'm reading if anyone else would be interested.

I'm starting with John Fowles The Collector

EDIT: MY GOD I FUDGED THE TITLE, my dyslexia attacks again

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hahahaha! I could edit that for you, Stevey... but I’m not going to, The Book Clud is a brilliant name 😆

Great topic, though! I am currently doing a re-read of an old favourite, ‘Survivor’ by Chuck Palahniuk. It’s a dark satire about the last surviving member of a suicide cult. Would highly recommend it 👍

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Hi, just figured I'd start up a "What are you reading?" thread. Basically I'd just like to know what you're currently reading and what you think about it, or tell us about your favourite book or if you'd like suggestions on what to read next.

On a previous board me and few other members would always set ourselves a challenge to read 50 books in a year and we would use the thread to talk about what we're reading. I'm going to try and do it again starting tomorrow with my previous high being 37 books I'm determined to make it to 50 this year!

Feel free to join in, I'll be using this thread to put my thoughts out on what I'm reading if anyone else would be interested.

Dyslexia is such an arse in the pain.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hahahaha! I could edit that for you, Stevey... but I’m not going to, The Book Clud is a brilliant name 😆

Great topic, though! I am currently doing a re-read of an old favourite, ‘Survivor’ by Chuck Palahniuk. It’s a dark satire about the last surviving member of a suicide cult. Would highly recommend it 👍
Wow Survivor sounds right up my street, I'll definitely check that one out. It's been added the list

I'd say we have to keep the spelling mistake now and I have to live with my shame

D

Deleted member 41971

my current read, though maybe less interesting but I am currently reading Autobiography of mark twain, find him fascinating and someone I would have loved to go back in a time machine and meet or at least lived while he was alive and creating.

I would never be in a clud that wanted me as a member (y)

steaky360

If anyone likes Sci-Fi the last books I read properly were the Polity Novels by Neal Asher - specifically the Agent Cormac Series

Fantastic reads.

Currently I'm reading John Palmers How to Brew but its a different sort of book :)

D

Deleted member 41971

I'm going to sound very boring here...I'm currently reading a couple of books on Corporate Governance and Strategic Management :D

certainly not recommended :D :D LOL

do tell more on the Corporate governance is the system of rules, practices and processes by which a company is directed and controlled. Corporate Governance refers to the way in which companies are governed and to what purzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :coffee::coffee:

Citrus_9

Expert

I have bad news - 50 books a year is fiscally impossible for a proper and good quality books... ;) They take time to not just read, but to reflect too. Sometimes even require to read additional books to learn the context. From time and motivation (I mean, laziness) perspective it's impossible... Years ago I've graduated from a university in philology (not English), and we used to read 120 books in 6 months which was basically focusing mostly to the stylistics, characters, contexts etc but the least to the content as there was no time - just skipping every tens of pages just to get it done.

After the graduation oh my god how I hesitate to take book in my hands... I like walking in the book stores and libraries and smell books though 🤪

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh god is there anything worse than reading that nonsense, I have to do a fair bit of jargon reading with regards to logistics. Reading the Croner to determine a random countries importation laws and regulations to make sure whatever we're sending complies with their guidelines. Every country has different laws so I have to spend an absolutely stupid amount of time reading that mind melting book too often

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have bad news - 50 books a year is fiscally impossible for a proper and good quality books... ;) They take time to not just read, but to reflect too. Sometimes even require to read additional books to learn the context. From time and motivation (I mean, laziness) perspective it's impossible... Years ago I've graduated from a university in philology (not English), and we used to read 120 books in 6 months which was basically focusing mostly to the stylistics, characters, contexts etc but the least to the content as there was no time - just skipping every tens of pages just to get it done.
It's a little over one week per book and like I said the most I've gotten to 37, but it's definitely adequate time to read the entire thing and spend some time reflecting on it too.

Plus there's plenty of fantastic books that are fairly short that you can get through in one evening if you wanted to

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm currently reading Effective C (Robert Seacord, No Starch Press) from the Humble 'Learn You More Code' Bundle.
Welcome to the Clud Bob, how is the reading bundles from Humble. I've been on the verge of picking them up a few times, do they just send you the raw text file that you can read anywhere?

Citrus_9

Expert
It's a little over one week per book and like I said the most I've gotten to 37, but it's definitely adequate time to read the entire thing and spend some time reflecting on it too.

Plus there's plenty of fantastic books that are fairly short that you can get through in one evening if you wanted to
When you put this way, it sounds reasonable...